+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Well, She's Mine Now!

Default Well, She's Mine Now!

1,954 mile drive home from Carlsbad, Ca. to Vegas where the alternator belt broke, without the air pump I lost the breaks exiting I15 to take the kids to see the strip. Back on the road we cruised past Hoover Dam, then to the Grand Canyon and into and across Colorado on highway 160. Made it back to Kansas City averaging 15.8mpg. This is the 89 C350 with the IH 7.3 with a Banks turbo, E4 and I believe 4.10 gears. I ran 65mph most of the way and the occasional 70, or 75 here and there. I believe the drive line is out of balance. there is a shuddering vibration when I let off and decelerate. Front end needs work to fix a when breaking between 35 and 45, and the roof if rusted (surprise) as well as the triangle pieces behind the rear door just in front of where the rear top attaches. I'll be reading lots and slowly working on her. Glad this resource is here!

Default Re: Well, She's Mine Now!

I moved the sale pic's and a couple from the trip home into a new gallery in my profile.
    89 C350 7.3 Banks Turbo, E4, 4.10, and 16.5 x 33's

1995 5speed PSD Sucked In bob_95_psd's Avatar

Congrats!! Sounds like a nice trip overall. Great pictures too!

Gear Head Sucked In Bronco Biff's Avatar

Very Nice! 15.8 is pretty sweet. I'd set the parking break/chock the wheels, pu it in nuetral and check the rear u joints for looseness.

Me "But Honey, it seats nine!"
    Honey "No way! Have you lost your mind?! Five kids is plenty!"

Senior Member Sucked In sheepman's Avatar

Congrats!
    1997 F350 Centurion Pacifica
    1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer
    2003 Cub Cadet 1517

My Photos

fuel line to the top of the fuel filter cracked open and started leaking. I fixed that Saturday. maybe it was leaking on the way home and would be good for another couple tenths of a mile per gallon I am hopeful anyway, 16mpg would be pretty nice. I do feel some looseness in the rear end so will be checking those U joints. Maybe this weekend I can get the track bar bushings done. It does fit in the garage but it doesn't leave much room.

The previous owner said that the lid for the 7.3 Banks Turbo sat too high so they used the 6.9 lid as it sat lower and allowed the hood to close. Any one seen this before? I'd like it to match and say 7.3 since that is what it supposedly has. Can someone tell me where or how to identify the engine, or the difference between a 7.3 and a 6.9?

Senior Member Sucked In sheepman's Avatar

I've never seen a lid for the old system that had 7.3. IIRC is Banks only made your system, non wastegate and new wastegate system they still sale today. IMO is what you've got is great and a couple little number is easy to live without.

It's possable that PO had his story wrong.
    1997 F350 Centurion Pacifica
    1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer
    2003 Cub Cadet 1517

My Photos

It was at least 103 in the shade today. I had the A/C pressure tested and retro-fitted. Filled her up with coolant and she lasted about 4 miles and melted the compressor clutch. Replaced the clutch only with a 3 finger job ($60) instead of the rubber base on the original and it is still working. Just need to fix the power lead to the rear fan switch and she kwill be blowing cold from the front and rear. It still doesnt get super cold, but I think with the back blowing it will deffinately beat driving around with the windows down. Hell is HOT, and Missery (Missouri) aint much cooler!

Junior Member New User

Fords of that era did not shut off the coolant flow to the heater core at all. Installing a bypass or shut off valves in the heater hoses can gain you 10-15 degrees in vent temperature.

+ Reply to Thread