+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power Chip installation

Senior Member Sucked In

Some little cyber elf decided I would be a good canidate to loan his computer chip to see how well it worked in a warmer climate where the EBPV (exhaust backpressure valve) did not operate as much reducing the chance for extremely high exhaust temperatures. So I moved up the supporting modifications (Downpipe and open air intake) on the to do list.

The first time you install a chip it is easiest if you remove the PCM from the truck since from the factory ford coated the conactor with a thick protective grease, which you will need to clean before your truck will recognize the new power chip.

The engine computer is located in the firewall on the drivers side about halfway down see 1st picture with the plug attached. You will need a 10mm socket to remove the plug. remove the plug and move aside. (2nd pic) You will need a 13mm deep well to remove the weather barrier bolts (2) one above and 1 below the pcm. By this time you've noticed that there is not much room down there so before you can slide the PCM out you will have to partially remove the inner wheel well by removing a handful of 5.5mm bolts, note arrows in 3rd picture for location of some. Once you get the inner fender loose you can slide the PCM out (3rd pic).

Once you get it removed it you will have a box like the 4th picture in your hand. The chip is going to go onto a series of conatcts hidden by a cover on the back side of the PCM (pic 5)
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Traveler; 03-03-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    There are no rules in life. You have to think!

Senior Member Sucked In

As you can see in the first picture there is a narrow opening for the chip to go into and you have to clean the protective "stuff" off of the contacts, so to me it was easier to take the covers off to give me room to get my fat fingers in there easier.

To remove the cover simply remove the 6- 5.5mm bolts holding the cover on when you lift the midsection out the lower cover will be loose and will either fall off or easily be pulled apart. The 2nd picture will show you the pieces of the PCM. You can also see how easily you can access the bottom side of the board to clean the contacts. The 3rd picture is the accessability of the top contact and it's accessability.

To clean the "stuff" off of the contacts you will need to rub what you can off with a paper towel, then wash the contacts with acetone (nail polish remover) and to ensure all is removed I buffed lightly with a 000 steel wool. If you do not get all contacts clean you will get a Check Engine light and your truck will not start. Slide your chip (4th pic) onto the connector and install in the truck. I recommend plugging your pcm in and letting it sit in the engine bay before bolting it back in place so you can ensure that you got the contacts clean. Since I removed a dust cover I wanted to replace it with something and the first thing that came to mind was Duct tape. though I wanted to make sure I would be able to access it without problem from the interior and since I did not now what kind of space I had on the inside I decided I would put the tape on once it is insalled in the truck.

You can access the chip location of the PCM from inside the truck by removing the emergency brake pedal mechanism this is a very tight space and cleaning the contacts would be extremely difficult in this space though possible if you wanted to avoid the inner fender. The 5th picture shows the location with the brake assembly removed.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Traveler; 03-03-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Senior Member Sucked In

The power has been significantly increased since the chip is a 100 hp chip which maxes out the fuel flow with my stock injectors. *Black smoke is only present on full throttle and then it rapidly clears up as the turbo increases boost pressure. *The requirement for installation of chips to safeguard your motor is at minimum a Pyrometer or exhaust gas temperature gauge, recommended is a boost gauge and for automatic transmissions a transmission temp guage. *The more fuel you supply to the engine the hotter it will burn EGT's in excess of 1300? measured pre exhaust can be damaging to the engine and turbo. *The factory computer programming does not supply enough fuel to get you into this danger zone. *

Having run about 600 miles with the chip installed I am quite pleased the first tank with it installed my fuel mileage dropped significantly due to excessive use of the right pedal on my second tank when I had trained my self to keep my foot off the floor, most of the time, I managed to get a combined 16.8mpg which is about a 1.5 mpg imrovement over what I had been averaging previously. *Unfortunately I cannot say if I will have problems with my EBPV when temperatures cool off here as we've been having a warm spell of 70? temperatures in January.

Junior Member New User

Like you I did the chip very near the time of the exhaust and intake, so mileage changes, pretty hard to tell.
    Be sure and give us all your observations, like and don't likes, see how it is different than my setup.

I found it very, very near impossible to keep my foot out of it with a chip, not good for mileage at all.

If you want to stop pressing the right pedal so hard, the best thing you can do it, go to McDonalds, get a cup of coffee, (they have the hottest)
    Take the lid off, now hold it between your legs while you drive.

Works pretty good till the coffee cools down, or the cup is empty.

Senior Member Sucked In

well I can say that the intake I did have a chance to put 300+ miles with just it on there and it alone did not make much mileage difference it did however allow for a significant increase in boost of about 5-6 psi while loaded I'd managed to hit 21 with stock programming. I did notice that having the open element filter made the cool down time actually increase while the stock downpipe was still in place. The downpipe alone only made it about 60 miles before I put the chip in so I can't say if it helped much, though the cool down times were back to relatively stock times.

With the chip in there is definatley more power, the shifting logic has changed I'll need a sonnax valve and some other tranny upgrades to help with the shifting as currently when under heavy throttle the shifting isn't smooth, A pleasant surprise is the improved glow plug logic. While running unloaded max egt is 1150. Max boost I've been able to pull unloaded was 23psi. I've only been able to run about 500 miles with the chip in so I can't say what the mileage will do for my "normal" mileage. My past experience since picking the truck up was that accelleration did not make a great impact on the mileage only the cruise speed that made the biggest impact, well that or how heavy a trailer I had behind the truck. I'm hoping it will get back to "normal" weather here in GA so I can see how the EBPV impacts my temps, I'm optimistic since even when it was around 20 the valve would only do it's normal cycle on startup.

Towing update, went and picked up a tractor to borrow from a friend with trailer weighs about 5k and egt's peaked at 1225 when floored going up the biggest hill between here and there from a dead stop a the bottom.

Senior Member Committed gr8whitebronco's Avatar

I have a chip on my cent with the 460,Do I have to remove the chip before I go through inspection???????
    scott

Junior Member New User

Tough call, but usually not. When you have to go through inspection, do they test the actuall emissions?

The chips usually make them more efficient, so they actually look better during the emissions test.

On a diesel they do a smoke test where they hammer the accelerator and look for smoke, if they see what the inspector feels is too much, then they flunk you.

You shouldn't have that problem on a gas engine.

USAF C-17 Avionics Sucked In adrianspeeder's Avatar

wow, diesels are emmisions exempt in PA.

Adrianspeeder

Senior Member Sucked In

in GA anything over 3/4 ton is exempt, gas or diesel.

I know CO checks diesels and they basically do a smoke test for the emissions there there is a certian % of light transmittance required through the tailpipe emissions.

For a gas motor I wouldn't pull it out, I'd check to see how it ended up the first time and since the 1st retest is free I'd pull the chip and then see if it passes. But then again I guess that depends on what it costs for the test to start with.

Senior Member Sucked In AK4x4van's Avatar

Scott, if your chip is 50-state legal then I wouldn't worry. If your truck fails the sniff test, it wouldn't be from the chip.
    Kaleo Quilinderino

96 Classic 350 7.5L 4x4
    94 E-350 7.3L IDI 4x4 15 pass

+ Reply to Thread