+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sterling 10.25 rear disc conversion

Junior Member New User

Anybody have any info on this?
    Wondering is anyone has seen a kit, or step by step procedures for doing this conversion?

My rearend is perfect I don't want to swap the whole thing.

I know 4doorbronko started this subject on the yahoo site, I have been searching the web and found very little.

This is something I need, but I want a factory looking emergency brake setup.

Junior Member New User

Found some info, but anyone with experience appreciated.
    This is what I found.

TSM website here But the kit has been discontinued. But other places say they will come out summer of 2003.

Stainless Steel brake corp has nothing for the 10.25 Sterling

Dynatrac supposably has some info I need to call, the website shows nothing. Website here

Pics of a guy that bought a truck with the conversion already done here

A guy that did it Here But no emergency brake.

Actually the E-brake looks simple.

If I can make bolt on brackets anybody else want some.
    '76-'78 cadillac rear calipers, not sure which rotor to use yet, would like to use the front ones making it simple to remeber what parts to get.

Administrator Sucked In 4doorbronko's Avatar

I'd be interested in the brackets.
    I never was able to find much more out about a kit than what you have posted.
    William E. Shobel
    1941-2010

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel. "

A list of the toys

Senior Member Committed Bronkzilla's Avatar

id also be interested in this... not for the 4 door but for the 2 door.

i had the tsm kit on my old axle on the 2 door.
    Rafael Esqueda

Who has the link to picadors' d.60 disc swap?

I think I gots an Idea....

Junior Member New User

Thanks for the link. I think those are the rotors we want.

I started looking into the Super duty, or E series rear calipers, and I didn't get very far before I was told they don't use a traditional emergency brake, rather they use one mounted on the drive shaft. I never took any time to investigate.
    Upon further investigation I found the hub size was different so a complete axle swap would mean different wheels on the rear.

There is plenty of info out on conversions with the cadillac calipers, so I figured I would go that way.

The dual caliper piston would be nice, but may be overkill.

So what are you thinking, do you have a super duty or van you can take a closer look at?

The driveshaft brake is bul**#...
    On a superduty caliper there is a brake line and a cable. I think that the cable is for the ebrake.

On a Superduty driveshaft there is no such thing as a caliper or rotor or any cables, Just a lot of U-joins.

The thing that is "different" on a superduty axle is the rotors/bolt pattern.

If the hub sizes are different just grind the rotors or hubs right?

Senior Member Sucked In

bolt pattern would still not be the same which I would see as the biggest problem.
    '01 E-350, EB van, V-10, family "Hall'er"
    '77 Bronco, daily driver on 35's

Member Dedicated

ok, i am not sure what info you want, but my new shop van is a 2001 E-250 with 4 wheel disk brakes., just tell me what info you want and i will get it

Junior Member New User

Slik Good to hear from you, How is the Roof project coming?

What we need to know is, how is the emergency brake set up? Does the E brae cable run to the rear wheels, or is there a brake on the drive shaft.

I can still turn and go a different direction, but I stopped by the junk yard today, and they actually had a 1976 Eldorado.
    I got to take pics of how it was set up, took measurements, and best of all I took the calipers for $50 with new brake pads.
    Rebuilt calipers from O'reilly auto is $60, + $15 core, so $75 a side.

Rotors depending on which side look like they will run around $80, but I haven't shopped much yet, I think I can find a cheaper one to use.

They will have to be rebuilt If I use them, but I am not sure if E brake actuator arm comes with the rebuild ones, so I figured it would be nice to have everything to start with.

I think I am leaning towards the Eldorado calipers, and not just because I have them, but I doubt any of us are going to put so much tongue weight on the rear that a dual piston caliper would be needed.
    Right now I am hoping We don't need to change the porportioning valve, with a dual piston caliper, I am pretty sure we would, otherwise the rear will lock up everytime we touch the brake.
    The bracket needed for the Cadillac caliper is almost a flat plate, the bracket for the dual piston I think is a little more elaborate, and would be difficult to build.

I am still moveing on this project, but I have a lot of Irons in the fire right now, so we have some time to find a better caliper.

So what are the rest of you thinking? Try to make the dual piston caliper off of a Superduty work, or put Chebby parts on the Ford.

mine would be going on my other bronco so dual piston calipers would be saweeet.. especially with 42" tires
    Rafael Esqueda

Member Dedicated

well, the roof project is going ok, got alot of pictures to upload, maybe this weekend. been super busy at work and just haven't had any time for anything. i will check the e brake thing tomorrow if i remember and maybe take a pic or two. and i HATE putting chevy parts on a ford. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT

Hey raf, use the same kind of brakes that you have in front in the rear (simliar to picadors swap). This gives you interchangeability (sp?) on the trail and no need for extra junk.

E-brakes are for wussies, J/K

Then you can have 2 of these bad boys front and rear for the ultimate configuration.

They are line locks so make sure you dont buy the electric ones (for obvious reasons..DUH!).

im gonna give the huge rear drum brakes a chance.. all the stuff insiide them is new.. might as well use them.. ill just try to avoid mud and dirty water holes.. that was what killed my drum brakes on my old 8.8 axle and the reason i went to a rear disk brake setup.
    Rafael Esqueda

You know that you are not going to avoid the mud ? *.
    It never really rains in Los Angles which kinda sucks and is sorta good.
    If all the stuff in there is new beat the shit out of it... Right?

Junior Member New User

A construction company I used to work for had them in every truck.
    The line locks work good, we finally just started using ball valves.
    The system works great as long as there are no fluid leaks in the brake lines or calipers.
    More than once we drug equipment out of ravines because of that.
    Remember, always stay uphill from the vehicle.

Junior Member New User

Cool thanks for the pics.
    That is the same setup as the pickups. A drum brake inside the rotor.

I'm gonna do some more diggin, Those bracket could be retrofited if the tube is about the same diameter, but we still would have to come up with a rotor.

what 'bout the new dodge ram calipers?

Junior Member New User

I just went and looked, yes they do have 4 wheel disc, but they are the same hat style drum brake setup as ford for the emergency.
    Guy here at work has a '03

Junior Member New User

Okay I am going with the Caddy calipers, I know Chebby parts.

The E van series rotor fits perfectly. Since the inside is machined for the E-brake it slips over the hub perfectly.

I looked at lincolns, expeditions, all Ford products uses the same hat style E-brake.

The caliper and rotor are protected by the wheel, and don't hang out the inside very far.

I have a pattern made, I will try and cut a steel one tomorrow and see if it fits.

+ Reply to Thread