+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reciever hitch mounted box

Junior Member New User

This a couple of pics Of a box I built for traveling. It is made out of Aluminum. It is lockable and opens on the end, It is fort the most part weather tight. Have never gotten anything inside wet, or dusty, but a pressure washer would get through the seal.
    I am sure you have seen the racks that go into the reviever hitch, this is same idea, but more secure and weather tight.
    I mounted so the box is visible through the back window making easy to see if it is till there.
    Sorry for the dark pics.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Traveler; 03-02-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Junior Member New User

The whole box is painted the color of the truck. It is just dirty the paint job is actually pretty good.

Junior Member New User

This a rear shot from about 10 ft. If a car isn't any closer you can see both tail lights, and turn signals.
    The red thing in the center is the Bike carrier I added last summer. It only holds one bike for now.
    I was under 24" beyond the bumper until the bike carrier. I added the reflectors hopeing the cops will leave me alone. Here in Iowa anything beyond 24" needs to be marked with a red flag, or have lights on it.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Traveler; 03-02-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Junior Member New User

This is where the reciever is attached, I had a hard time figuring how to stablize the box so it didn't rattle or shift going around corners. The noise was bad enough, but on my Suburban it would hit the top of the bumper everytime I turned a corner.
    I played with load binders, and rachet straps, at one point I was going to drill the bumper and bolt it together.
    Finally I came up with this little contraption, after I built it I see you can buy them. I would have just done that.
    It fits the shaft tight, and it fits the outside of the reciever tube tight. There are two bolts on the side, that I tighten down to keep it tight.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Traveler; 03-02-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Junior Member New User

I made a shelf that goes in back of the truck to hold more gear, I'll post a pick when I get it put back in.
    I never did get the rest of my roof rack pieces, otherwise I would pack some on top also.
    Without a trailer I cannot Imagine anybody getting more gear in a truck than us.

+ Reply to Thread