+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yet-to-be-Named 1994 C350

Default Re: Yet-to-be-Named 1994 C350

Somewhere around that timeframe it started to look like a truck again! A truck that realy needs paint...

After noticing the parts truck had factory keyless entry, I embarked on that wiring nightmare. turns out adapting 2 door door harnesses to four door is quite a project. Thank gooodness for wiring schematics.

On an impulse, I decided to try out a double Din Android based radio so i could interface the new fangled OBD2 system and run Torque Pro through the radio. Eventually, I'll use an arduino to add some more I/O to the system like EGT, LP Oil, and Coolant Temp.

I sold the grey f150 seats and console and replaced with a tan F150 console and Black/Tan Expedition seats. Heated/cooled full power on both sides. few wires under there: oofta I've since found out that the heating and cooling is controlled over CAN bus, further adding to the complexity of the gdang thing.

I have a circuit breaker under the hood for feeding a 12 circuit fuse panel in the center console for the (at least) 6 circuits requiring power for the seats, future heated/cooled cupholders, console power point, etc.

Mounted up a set of retreads on stock wheels:

With only two front seats and one seat belt, I start putting some miles on it. The added weight up front amplifies the need for front end rebuild, so it gets the works. rear brakes too since the parking brake was lacking. 100ish miles of driving, pecking things off the list and disaster strikes.

All the day before we were about to roadtrip it 12 hours to Minnesota for the COR Races.

So here we started looking for a replacement trans. Man, not as plentiful as they used to be! After a couple weeks I had a buddy pick up a core with a good case for way too much money. the internet gave me enough confidence to pull both of them apart and swap my good internals into the good case.

As it turns out, the ZF S5 family is pretty simple to tear apart. We'll keep the busted tailhousing for the wall of shame. might have er welded up someday for emergencies. :P

so after about a month of down time the replacement trans was cleaned up, guts swapped and measured, and ready to go back in. Figured I'd toss some FAST PTO cover coolers on there to add a couple quarts of capacity and whipped up a quick brace to tie the Tcase mount face to the trans mount a little better. I was a little gunshy about busting another tailhousing at this point.

Senior Member Sucked In

Glad to see you making progress.
    1995 C-350 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke 233,000
    1997 F-250 Powerstroke CC short bed 4x4 7.3 w/ dana 60 swap, stage 1 injectors 294,000
    1997 F-250 Powerstroke CC short bed converted to 4x4 & dually PMF RSK & dana 60 swap 355,000 Over 600rwhp
    1994.5 F-350 Powerstroke Centurion CC dually 4x4 7.3 5 speed 389,000
    2017 Mustang GT 5.0 auto 8,500

long time absent... so here's an update since the last sorry, no pictures right now:

I installed a PHP Hydra tuner somewhere in here too. I had a terrible hunting idle until I'd give it some throttle on every startup. Come to find out that when using an auto PCM on a manual swap, the PCM looks for the transmission range switch and freaks out until it gives up. Loaded up some manual trans tunes onto the hydra and the idle hunts no more!

After the trans was back in, I took a good look at the driveshaft I hade made up for it. It's long, small diameter, and unbalanced. Recipe for vibration. Called up Valley Truck in TC and had a new 4" driveshaft in hand two days later. Took the retreads to get balanced too. well, two of them at least. The other two are way too far out to balance. I guess my couriosity about retreads has turned into a lesson learned about retreads. lol

So roadtrip with it, Take 2! Again heading to the COR races, this time for fall crandon again! Loaded up the bikes on the trailer and headed for the bridge. 4.10s sure cause a ruckus at 75mph and there's still a bearing somewhere that's not happy. But we made it without any real issue. One step closer...

---

After the roar of the 410s on the highway, the 3.55 rear end in the donor truck was looking pretty appealing. A quick inspection, coat of paint, and brake rebuild and it was under there! I took the opprotunity to remove the stock 1 ton 4" blocks and put the 2" blocks out of thwe 3/4ton in there. rides very close to level and it's way easier to reach in the back with the window down.

Now we're ready for a little more weight. We towed the TJ up to drummond without issues. Cold starting was a bit of a pain with lots of glow plug cycles and thick, eye-watering smoke for some time. Cleared out after a couple minutes. The 3.55 rear end was a huge improvement in both rpm and in solving the rear end bearing noise. But between the cold starts and the desire for more power got the wheels turning.

and then black friday happened. I pulled the trigger on a new KC turbo and some 180cc 30% injectors along with all the trimmings. as of today, the injectors, glow plugs, under cover harnesses and gaskets are all installed. I still need to update the harness to the super duty plugs before i can test fire it. Once I know it runs again, I'll pop the turbo back out and replace all the up pipes and maybe finish the intercooler install. Hoping to get to the roof and paint this winter (again)

Junior Member New User

Sir,
    You have been having much fun
    Enjoyed reading and seeing pictures
    Scott

I enjoy the truck a lot more than the wife does! Looks like it won't be on any heavy towing duty anymore. Bought this unit for that: (and the wife likes it)

Mega cab dually, cummins, 6pd manual, tuned/exhaust weight loss.

Was going to hold off on working on the Centurion until some higher priority projects were handled, but a little failure to yeild situation in the challenger forced the issue.

So the injectors and injector accessories were installed. Took it for a test drive and holy smoke show on the stock turbo, even on the stock tune. Not being really excited about constant smoke under any sort of acceleration, the turbo swap became a priority. What a treat that project is. Only had to make/destroy two tools to get that stupid flange off the back.

HOLY TOLEDO It's like a whole new truck now. The stock 7.3 was a dog compared to the 460 that was removed, but no more! it's a lot of fun to drive now and still squeaking out 17mpg.

I need to address the filler neck:

Since then, I swapped over to a set of gooseneck mirrors and put a white top (with 3rd brake light) on it.

For right now, I'm just picking little things off the list before the big winter projects. Roof is still holding, but it's top priority come snowy season.

Oh, and i guess i rebuilt the brakes too. no more dragging front brakes helps. 27 year old brake hoses will do that I guess.

Senior Member Sucked In heatmiser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmbretts View Post
    I enjoy the truck a lot more than the wife does! Looks like it won't be on any heavy towing duty anymore. Bought this unit for that: (and the wife likes it)

Mega cab dually, cummins, 6pd manual, tuned/exhaust weight loss.

Was going to hold off on working on the Centurion until some higher priority projects were handled, but a little failure to yeild situation in the challenger forced the issue.

So the injectors and injector accessories were installed. Took it for a test drive and holy smoke show on the stock turbo, even on the stock tune. Not being really excited about constant smoke under any sort of acceleration, the turbo swap became a priority. What a treat that project is. Only had to make/destroy two tools to get that stupid flange off the back.

HOLY TOLEDO It's like a whole new truck now. The stock 7.3 was a dog compared to the 460 that was removed, but no more! it's a lot of fun to drive now and still squeaking out 17mpg.

I need to address the filler neck:

Since then, I swapped over to a set of gooseneck mirrors and put a white top (with 3rd brake light) on it.

For right now, I'm just picking little things off the list before the big winter projects. Roof is still holding, but it's top priority come snowy season.
    Filler neck seems to be a problem with mine as well
    1979 F350 Crewcab Longbed 4x4 (being retro-restored)
    1969 Z28/RS/SS Convertible (being retro-restored) Mine!!
    [COLOR="Magenta"]1996 C350 Centurion 4x4
    2005 F350 4x4...work truck
    2006 Lincoln LS...son's Daily Driver
    1976 Bronco...Toy (Finished...Yeah!!!!)

'Deus, dona mihi serenitatem accipere res quae non possum mutare, fortitudinem mutare res quae possum, atque sapientiam differentiam cognoscere.'

hopefully it's a quick fix. Seems to be plenty of info out there in other forums on it.

+ Reply to Thread