+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yet-to-be-Named 1994 C350

Senior Member Sucked In

Default Re: Yet-to-be-Named 1994 C350

Very nice!!
    1995 C-350 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke 233,000
    1997 F-250 Powerstroke CC short bed 4x4 7.3 w/ dana 60 swap, stage 1 injectors 293,000
    1997 F-250 Powerstroke CC short bed converted to 4x4 & dually PMF RSK & dana 60 swap 355,000 Over 600rwhp
    1994.5 F-350 Powerstroke Centurion CC dually 4x4 7.3 5 speed 389,000
    1996 F-350 Powerstroke CC dually 2wd 7.3 5 speed 385,000
    2017 Mustang GT 5.0 auto 7,500

Senior Member Committed Skitter302's Avatar

images aren't showing up for me :(
    1991 Bronco Eddie Bauer ~ 351w EFI ~ E4OD ~ BW1356 (Manual) ~ Manual Hubs ~ 265/75 r15
    1989 Centurion 350 ~ 460 EFI ~ E4OD ~ BW1356 (Manual) ~ Manual Hubs ~ 35x12.5 r17

Senior Member Sucked In

Me either, just the link for the older pictures works.
    1995 C-350 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke 233,000
    1997 F-250 Powerstroke CC short bed 4x4 7.3 w/ dana 60 swap, stage 1 injectors 293,000
    1997 F-250 Powerstroke CC short bed converted to 4x4 & dually PMF RSK & dana 60 swap 355,000 Over 600rwhp
    1994.5 F-350 Powerstroke Centurion CC dually 4x4 7.3 5 speed 389,000
    1996 F-350 Powerstroke CC dually 2wd 7.3 5 speed 385,000
    2017 Mustang GT 5.0 auto 7,500

I don't know what happened to my first post or the subsequent re-post of the initial update from the Greatlakes4x4 build thread, but herewegoagain...now dated a bit but whatever.

About a month ago I purchased my C350 Centurion Bronco (this one) and have been tinkering with it since. It sports a 460/E4OD/manual shift tcase.

I've always had a fascination with these things. While working out of country, I was browsing craigslist and stumbled upon this guy. why I was on seattle craiglist is now a mystery to me. I had been wanting an OBS f250 or F350 to meet the towing wants that the little SCSB 4.9 truck isn't meeting. Got ahold of the guy the first or second day it was posted on craigslist and and after a little back and forth we started the motions of getting it bought. That proved difficult while working in Brazil, truck being in Seattle, and living in Michigan. First rodeo like that. To shorten the boring part of the story up, I had it shipped and it arrived the day after I got home from the 5 week work trip. All was good with the world.

Here it is on day one:

We figured we'd put a few tanks of gas through it and then start on the roof repairs. Here we are 6 weeks later and we've put about 2,500 miles on it. It's been across the Upper peninsula twice to the LOORS and plan to take it to the races for Crandon's 50th.

From there, we plan stab it into the garage and start on the roof repair and the few other body issues over the winter. It is a very clean truck other than the roof seam and a few layers of paint. Roof doesn't leak right now, so i'm optimistic, but preparing for the worst.

Not really ever going to be an offroader, but will hopefully be towing the jeep(s) and whatnot around before too long. :thumb:

----Post #2----

Since taking it in, we've gotten some of the smaller things out of the way in between trips to the lake:

hauling 12 foot boards with the tailgate up:

hauling home 14ft steel for the new roof:

The first change was to fix the tan center seat that was stuck in the up position and had no cup holders! LAME! I happened to have a 2015 F150 center console (planned to use on another truck before impulse buying the centurion) so it got mounted up to the conveniently placed center seat mounts. That grey panel drives me nuts, so it'll turn tan when I ditch the BMW seats.

Before: (PO picture)

After:

The PO mentioned that the trans shifted hard. boy was he right. Often times it wouldn't even downshift into 2nd or 1st, forcing manual shifts. Often threw trans codes indicating the solenoid pack wiring to be at fault. tore into it one evening and found the harness to already be replaced.....with crimped on bullet connectors. cleaned everything up with solder and adhesive heat shrink and now it shifts consistently, albeit still harder than I'd like.

While I was under there, i cut the 3D printer loose and whipped up a switch mount to fit a Torque Converter Override switch. Down is computer controlled, Center is Forced Unlock, and up is Forced Lock. Forced lock is nice on all the two-lane highway roadtrips across the yoop. Forced Unlocked is nice around town as it keeps the confused torque converter out of the equation at lower speeds. Ultimately makes no difference unless you're really paying attention to how the torque converter acts. Still pull a whopping 10-11mpg. While I was in there, I replaced some worn switches and found some good work by centurion mounting the bullnose bronco switch in the areonose dash.

Found the oxygen sensor plug good and melted while crawling around underneath it:

Which explains the extra plug under there:

Figured I should go through the boxes of parts the PO sent with the truck. found some solid gold!

So that do-nothing chip was plugged in immediately. lol. Gotta see if I can still cash in on that free t-shirt. :naughty:

The first drive across US2 at night was pretty terrible. The headlights were aimed way too low and the light output was lackluster. Couple that with rain near escanaba made for a fun few miles.

I had been wanting an excuse to HID projector swap something for quite a while, and this was as good a reason as any. Ordered up a set of ebay housings and amazon projectors and got to work. The swap was extremely simple and only took a couple evenings. The light output with decent HID bulbs and ballasts is incredible. The low beam cutoff is really nice too. All much better than just stabbing LED bulbs in and blinding everyone on the road.

pay no attention to the constant CEL. We're workin' on it.

Haven't taken any more photos of the truck with new headlights during the day. Guess i'm going to have to.

This next bit is not nearly as fun. I replaced the muffler and rusty/holey/about-to-fall-apart tailpipe, which apparently the passenger exhaust manifold didn't like. Started leaking terribly at the rear port against the head right before the trip to Bark River International Raceway. That was top of the list on sunday. Read up on it and found that it's a common problem for the 460.

WEEEEEELLLLLLL, now the head has to come off. so much for that one sunday afternoon project. Grabbing a gasket set on the way home today. I am lucky enough to have my ford enthusiast grandfather who had a set of EFI 460 heads and manifolds sitting on a shelf right next to the window motors I needed for the back doors. grabbed them on a whim on Saturday. Sure glad I did!

Was reallllly tempted to order a new cam while I already had the top of the motor apart, but I am trying not to sink a whole lot of money into this drivetrain because.....reasons. That and we leave for Crandon next tuesday.

updates on that nonsense to come.

Motor back together. Surprising amount of space to heave a head out. Ended up just cutting my losses and swapping heads out once i put a straight edge to the old one and found the surface not flat. fresh gaskets, replaced head, replaced exhaust manifold... no leaks.

Runs great now with about 12 fewer vacuum leaks. little caps everywhere on the intake were falling apart.

Now we're on to the rear door power windows. After replacing all the switches, we got power back there, but still no action. pulled the motors out and both tested bad. pulled one apart, cleaned up the goop, and got it spinning, but bearings were still too tight and rusted. The extra motors I had on hand ended up not being the right pieces, so replacements on order. Got the windows moving freely at least. Apparently they haven't moved in quite some time.

also: holy guacamole sound deadening material. this stuff is everywhere on the truck. feels like I took off 5lb/door just to open up the spots to get the motors in and out.

The sound deadening sure makes for a satisfying thud when you close a door!

Before we left for Crandon, I decided that I could deal with grey seats in the tan interior for a little bit and mounted up the 2014 f150 seats that came with the console:

removing the not-good-for-roadtrips "BMW" seats from the PO: (fer sale btw :naughty

also found out a TTR-125L fits in the back!

we loaded up and scooted over there to crew for a couple rigs:

Se we had ourselves A great ol' time at crandon. Towed a wicked heavy 70's era camper to the track, loaded full of people for the trail ride (even made it on the big screen), poured all the trans fluid onto the highway in the bumper to bumper traffic heading back from the parade, and made it all the way home!

here's the video they played a few times featuring Bernie: Sorry, It's just on Facebook.
    https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=405544093429528&_rdr

some deets on the trans debacle. Well, I figured out that a steady pulse on the throttle could get the front end bobbing much to the delight of the back seat booze cruisers. over the course of about 30 seconds we went from "something smells hot," "sucks for wherever that smoke is coming from," "smells like trans fluid," and finally from the guy behind us, "HEY! You just poured all your trans fluid out" SHIIIIIIIT.

We got a tow back to the pits, poured enough trans fluid into the sad E4OD to back it up onto the race truck's trailer and waited for it to cool. we couldn't find anywhere other than the bellhousing where the fluid would have come from, so in between race things, we started to pull the trans. Come to find out Northern Wisconsin isnt the best place to find a 20-some year old transmission input seal. Luckily, we had another teammate coming up from Green Bay that was able to find a new input seal and a full load of ATF. It was a bit frantic the whole time. Huge shoutout to the guys working tirelessly to get us back to Michigan.

only picture I took of the process: thanks AMil!

Sunday morning, we filled 'er up with fluid, took it for a couple mile test spin, and hooked right up to the 8k lb trailer. not a hiccup all the way home. stupid bouncy-bouncy, heaty-heaty. Live and learn i guess.

Amid all the problems with this 460 E4OD combination, a thing came home with me last weekend.

1997 (obd2) 7.3 PSD E4OD. Don't worry, we already have a plan to remedy the presence of that automatic trans. (even though it DOES shift absolutely wonderful) more to come when that plan becomes a reality.

I'll be pulling the drivetrain out of the F250 soonish and will be freshening/waking up the ol Powerstroke, as time and more important projects allow, before stabbing it in the bronco. Looking forward to getting a set of OEM wheels on it too.

+ Reply to Thread