+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof repair advice..

Junior Member New User

Default Roof repair advice..

I have attached pictures of my roof. It is not horrible, but it needs to be addressed right away.

I wanted to know if I can get some tips. I have read every roof repair thread here. I see where a wire brush on a grinder is pretty effective. I want to go back with black bed liner. This is my truck I am going to keep it. I dont mind the bed liner look.

I talked to a guy named Jeff on the facebook group. Hi Jeff. He gave me a couple of tips. I attached the picture of the work that was done on his. The blue one. I want it to look like this.

My main question is do I have to go back and bondo or glass this thing? Can I just strip it, treat it, prime it, and line it? Why the bondo?

Can someone help me with a list of materials / tools I need?

I am a noob.

Thanks!!

Joe.
    Attached Images      

Junior Member New User

Default Re: Roof repair advice..

Senior Member Sucked In porkchop's Avatar

If you simply strip it prime etc... youll be able to see the welded joint. If that doesn't bother you then go ahead but there will still be water pooling there. Yours really doesn't too bad at all so that might work. If you do end up finding pinholes, it is a different story. On mine there is more pinholes than you can count on your two hands. From what ive seen it seems that laying down long strand fiberglass, short strand fiberglass then bondo to smooth it out will take care of it. If it is not that bad at all just use a thin coat of bondo to smooth it then prime it etc...

Junior Member Rookie bigjeff911's Avatar

Hey Joe, Jeff here. I talked to the guys at a couple body shops about fiberglass and they all said the same thing. It doesn't adhere to metal well enough to be a permanent fix for the roof issues these things have. Go with the "All-metal" body filler if theres any spots that need it and sand it smooth just like you would bondo. Coat of primer and then the bedliner and you're good to go.
    1995 C150 Classic soon to be daily driver
    2006 Freestyle Limited (wife's daily driver)
    2000 Focus SE current family fuel saver

Junior Member New User

Thanks jeff!

+ Reply to Thread