+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emer button and horns

Junior Member Rookie

Default Emer button and horns

hey guys, I'm slowly restoring this 83 Cabriolet I picked up. I'm having some issues though in the picture below, on my role of switches I have one that is "emer" which I'm guessing it's for emergency. once I flip it nothing happens. no lights no nothing. Can anyone shed some light on what this switch is for? Also I'm trying to get my overhead horns to work. are they controlled by the regular horn button or something different?Attachment 16037Attachment 16037

Junior Member New User

Default Re: Emer button and horns

For the switch I would pull the pannel out and look at the wires without 'disconnecting anything!!' And look at the color wires to the switch that is not working. Once you know their color you don't need to trace it all the way back inch by inch just look at the command intersections. In the rear cab to the right behind the driver seat is the command spot they relayed most mods through there on most models. There will be a diagram that will give you a better understanding. Now if the diagram is not with then fuse panel then check the fuses and then you'll need to do a full trace piece by piece.

Also can you post pics of your air horns so I know what I am dealing with,

Junior Member Rookie

Name:  F.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  103.4 KBIs there some kind of access door to the command Intersections to access them or do I have to remove some fabric to access it? Also they are not air horns. They look like air horns but are electronic. I'll post a pic of them. Its not the best pic, but its the only one I have.

Junior Member New User

All of your additions to the standard `ford` typically where routed through a seperate fuse panel made by the centurion. It would be a fuse panel that has several of the old vacuum fuses. The location can differ since they where built custom to the customer. I have been meaning to tack some pics of mine and posting it tomorrow I will post one just on this thread with the location of where mine was. What I can say I would not go cutting into anything. By the nature of fuses they blow and they would have had them able to be acessed with out tearing it apart.

To your horns they are just like mine. They are actually electric cone horns. It has the same mechanism as your typical horn. First see if power is going to them with a voltmeter. If power is being read to them the the best thing would be to remove them. Cut the wires evenly between the roof and horn to not short your self later. Once they are off the bolts in the back remove them inside you will see the magnetic coil and trigger and vibrator plate. Clean anything that looks rusty or dirty. Make sure the tube form the cone is clear that often gets clogged. And reassemble if the gaskit is bad then just use gaskit paper or the box from cereal.

Junior Member New User

I'll need to retake the pics of the panel tomorrow haven't forgotten about you

Junior Member Rookie

Well I checked the horns and they are pretty much shot. I'm trying to find the fuse panel that you're talking about, but I guess Cabriolet must have hid theirs pretty well. I found the original fuse panel for the Econoline itself. I tried testing the wires up there and could not get power from any of them. When you hit your horn button does that activate the electric horns up top too? I still have to find out what that emergency switche is for as well. I have power to it,and I was thinking that it's probably for some kind of flashing lights but I'm unable to find out what it goes to.

+ Reply to Thread