+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof repairs without filler

Member Dedicated

Default Roof repairs without filler

Anyone have any pictures of the finished product? The bondo on my 1990 is coming off, no rust though, so lucky so far. Anyway I'm going to be at a bare minimum removing all the bondo before any rust starts and I have been debating leaving it as such and I'm curious what a roof looks like painted with no filler.

Yes it won't be overly pretty, but its on the roof of a tall truck, and I'd rather have no bondo, spend time on cleaning up the weld seam so its nice & uniform.

Junior Member Rookie

Default Re: Roof repairs without filler

following... I am looking at a 94 c150 and it has bondo coming off of the rear driver side. looks to be some minor surface rust forming. hopefully its saveable...

Senior Member Sucked In porkchop's Avatar

Im trying to find a donor truck for the metal. I want to simply flatten the roof and get rid of the indent.

Member Dedicated

On my centurion, as far as I can tell the filler is there more so to cover the weld seam.

Junior Member New User

I thought there were pictures around here of welded roof without filler.
    Hard part is, you need to strip it and see what you have, not all of them were the same, some were welded solid, some were skip welded and just hope that the water hasn't eaten a whole through the metal that is hidden by the filler.

Member Dedicated

Yeah the roof is solid, headliner is fully stripped out and no rust issues, as well as a bunch of the bondo is cracked off & missing already and there are no issues yet, so I'm fairly confident that its solid.

If I have to finish welding it, that's no biggie as I have everything to weld it all out (tig or mig, or whatever floats your boat). I searched for pictures, and there are a few in progress pictures, but nothing with a finished product.

Junior Member New User

Either way, I am with you. Not too many people can see the roof anyway. Just clean it up and paint it.

Member Dedicated

Bump, had the top off for the summer, and I was prepping things for reinstall yesterday night and noticed the C piller, and the body joint is cracked, both sides. I'll be welding everything out, so its not a big issue to fix, but is there anything else I should look for to fix?

Junior Member New User

I haven't ever seen anything inside that needed to be welded, but that crack is common. Check along the rain gutter very close.

+ Reply to Thread