+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The White Beast

Senior Member Committed

Default The White Beast

Figured I would do a thread dedicated to what I do to my bronco. I am always messing with something. This past weekend I fixed both my front power windows: one was a loose wire and the passenger side was a simple window motor swap. Also, fixed both my transmission lines by removing them, cleaning the fittings, and putting some sealant where they insert on the passenger side of the E4OD.

Current things I am looking at:

Lund visor-lighted or not? How hard is it to wire up the lights? Do I have to remove headliner to do it?

Stereo/speakers- Replacing all stock speakers and the Walmart CD player in it (MUCH Needed lol) Any suggestions for a good site or speakers to get?

Shock bushings in front- Two of my quad shocks in the front are loose (rear ones) where the bolt runs through the bushing on the bottom (All brand new from broncograveyard). Fix? New bushings/spacer?

Transfer Case- It is still barely leaking. I already verified the bolts being tight. I have my original that came off my bronco. Thinking of buying a seal/gasket kit or bearing/seal/gasket kit. Suggestions?

Roof repair- A simple solution...pay someone $1500 lol. Now I just need to get the money.

Tailgate- The rust on the tailgate is not salvageable. At least I think? Just need to find a good used one or buy a shell. I assume a used one is my best option for like 150$?

Front and back bumpers- This is far in the furture. One I am getting in march for my birthday. I am going to remove the spare tire assembly it currently has and replace that with a back bumper with a swing out tire arm. Opinion? Also, the front bumper will be swapped out with the prerunner bumper from broncograveyard. I keep looking for front bumpers but so far only that one and the old warn enforcer bumper I like. Any awesome bumpers someone comes across let me know!!! please

I finally have my finances in order. So now is the time I can put 1-2 hundred a month towards the bronco without the wife completely complaining lol.

Senior Member Committed

Default Re: The White Beast

Here are some Pics
    Attached Images        

Senior Member Committed natterre's Avatar

That is quite a list of changes. I would like to know why are you planning on removing the spare tire from its carrier? My tire is inside, and I would like to put it on the back in a typical "bronco" setup. I have aquired the external tire carrier, but I don't know the reinforcement that is required to mount the carrier onto the rear quarter panel. What motor are you planning to put in it?

Senior Member Committed

More....Name:  Side Passenger.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  143.0 KBName:  Rear2.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  134.2 KBName:  Front.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  151.9 KBName:  Side Front.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  127.5 KBName:  Side Driver.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  110.1 KB

Senior Member Committed

Natterre, maybe I worded it wrong...but, no motor swap for now. I am keeping the 351w in there. The motor reference was towards the window motor in the front passenger side.

Junior Member New User

Using a patch panel on that tailgate actually works pretty well. The chrome trim panel covers up most of the seam.
    Worst part is you usually need to repair, weld some metal on the window regulator bracket right behind that center rust spot.

Lighted visor is easy. You can drill the A pillar to run the wires through, or just tuck them under the weather stripping in the driver's door. Run the wires down to the fuse panel and tap right into the marker light fuse.

Senior Member Committed

Stopped by my local small business autobody shop about 2 miles from my house. He did a rough qoute on the high side to repair my roof, do tailgate (he has a rust free one for $150 he will sell me), and fix my rear quarter panel wheel well for $1500-1750. I was planning on a much higher qoute...like $2000-2500. I think this is a great deal. Hoping to have the money/get it done before the end of the year. Searching hard for lund visor! Hopefully one with lights!!! (Not too expensive..have time right now)

Senior Member Committed

Well...did a little researching and found a wonderful article about putting an explorer overhead console into broncos. I love the idea of having a temperate/compass display, better dome lights, and a space to put something in. I went ahead and bought a complete overhead console (grey), plus bracket, and outside temp sensor off ebay for $28 (plus $10 shipping).

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...d-console.html

Also, found a great article on fitting an expedition console into our wonderful broncos as well. Trying to decide to pull the trigger on a 2003 grey console I found.

Added Pictures of what the expedition console can look like. Can't wait to get one!!!
    Attached Images    

Nice research.
    American by birth; Soldier by choice

Senior Member Committed

This is my latest mod to the bronco! I added a device to get my mpg to 30! It even is detachable and drives on its own lol. Happy to have a manual again! It's just a little 4 cylinder...but I like it
    Attached Images      

Senior Member Committed

Alright have a new issue. I have a tapping sound from the passenger side of my engine. My neighbor says it sounds like an exhaust leak coming from the factory manifold. My question is could a manifold cause tapping to resonate all the way up to the fuel rails even? I can feel a tapping in both fuel rails. I can hear the sound the best from the passenger side inner wheel skirt area (exact location of the manifold of course). I can definitely say that the sound gets louder when the vehicle is placed into gear and the gas is pressed. If I am cruising down the road the sound is not magnified until I press the gas. Could someone help clarify my situation! If it is the manifold...I could be looking at new headers since I am already going to have the exhaust and manifold off!!!

Junior Member New User

Look for black around the manifold bolts, look for a crack too. It was not uncommon to have a manifold crack.
    I hope that is what it is vs, a bad valve, lifter, that type of thing.

You can also have someone hold the brake and give it a little gas while you check it out. Just be very careful. I could feel hot gases coming out at my manifold leak.
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    1995 C350 4x4 7.5L
    1965 Buick Riviera 6.6L
    1961 Shasta 19' Deluxe Camper
    1948 Spartan Manor Tandem Camper Restoration

Senior Member Committed

One of the bolts was loose. I checked injectors, rockers, etc. and it was the simplest thing. I still have a sound, but it is simply the gasket more than likely. Thank you both! Going to save for headers and exhaust so I can permanately fix my issue. Is there any headers someone recommends? Most are between 150-300$ for the 351w. Has anyone got their exhaust done on one of these? Dual exhaust? I will definitely not have straight pipes anymore. Thinking pointed out just behind tires. I hate not being able to drive with back window down!!!!!!

Read up the Full Size Bronco site about the "home made Y pipe" and the Stainless 3" magnaflow universal pipe. It's about $60 shipped on Amazon and fits perfect from the muffler back. Check my exhaust build thread on here, I used the 3" stainless pipe on mine and list the part number.

Those guys swear by the y pipe adding low end torque and better mpgs. After doing the Doug Thorley headers (which replaces the y pipe also) on my C350 I believe it could make a big difference. I don't know if Thorley makes them for the 351 but they are not cheap, around $800 for the 460, but they are ceramic coated and replace the y pipe so it's a quality 2 for 1 in my opinion.
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    1995 C350 4x4 7.5L
    1965 Buick Riviera 6.6L
    1961 Shasta 19' Deluxe Camper
    1948 Spartan Manor Tandem Camper Restoration

Senior Member Committed

Just a quick update. The big boy helped me move to Missouri now. It surprisingly made the 900 mile trip flawlessly! However yesterday out of no where the truck decided to stay at a minimum of 2500 rpm (even at idle). After searching I checked for vacuum leaks, all ground locations checked, and even swapped my iac motor a couple times with a few I picked up at the junk yard. I finally fixed it today. It turned out to be my throttle position sensor.

Gear Head Sucked In Bronco Biff's Avatar

Well, I guess we never got the mini m&g done! Just did a new IAC on mine after sometimes going to idle would cut off or run rich. Fixed it!!

Me "But Honey, it seats nine!"
    Honey "No way! Have you lost your mind?! Five kids is plenty!"

Senior Member Committed

Quick update. Finally got the tailgate fixed. Decided to upgrade the AC while I was at it for summer. I will get around to putting centurion logo back On the bottom right. I opted against tire carrier bc I am going to go aftermarket bumper with a tire carrier with it.
    Attached Images    

Senior Member Sucked In AK Westphal's Avatar

Looks good. I'm surprised how many rust out there. Mine was completely spotless when I opened it up, I hosed it all out and made sure there was no debris blocking the drains, made that part of the biannual maintenance along with greasing the window track. Worked trouble free after that.

Gear Head Sucked In Bronco Biff's Avatar

Nice job!! New tailgate or repair?

Me "But Honey, it seats nine!"
    Honey "No way! Have you lost your mind?! Five kids is plenty!"

+ Reply to Thread