+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1992 C-350 White Four Door, 7.3 IDI

Senior Member Committed natterre's Avatar

Default 1992 C-350 White Four Door, 7.3 IDI

Well I made the trip to Boise this last weekend. I managed to get there and everything seemed to be in order with the vehicle as described. I finalized the sale and started to head home. About 2 hours into the trip I stopped (in Twin Falls, ID) to take on fuel and my 8 year old son was playing in the back of the vehicle. I rolled down the window so he could get out, and wouldn't you know it - the back window wouldn't go back up. I drove the rest of the way home with the window down. This was a 1,200 mile trip back to southern AZ. The vehicle ran fine, other than every time the grade turned to up-hill the vehicle slowed down. I would go from 80 to about 55 on the hills.

Once I got it home I fixed the window (electrical plug came disconnected) and started a thorough inspection of the undercarriage. This vehicle was advertised to no leak a drop of anything and could be parked on the concrete without leaving any traces. Well, the rear end differential is leaking from the pinion seal, the transfer case is leaking at two gaskets, the transmission looks good, but the engine is leaking from both sides. I guess one man's definition is the the same as another man's...

All in all, I love this vehicle. It is going to be a little more of a project than I origionally thought, but let the games begin. I am debating switching out the 7.3 IDI for a 12v Cummins. I don't know if this is common or not, but this thing needs some more power, and that just might do it. Anyway, I am now an owner of a 4-door and I love it! (but my wife thinks I am just a little )
    Attached Images

Default Re: 1992 C-350 White Four Door, 7.3 IDI

congrats on the awesome new truck looks great and a cummins or a powerstroke would be great in that but for now theres a few little things you can do to the idi if you didnt already. like turning up the fuel pump a intake and exhaust my friend has an idi and that made worlds of difference

Thats a nice looking Centurion....big fan of the white ones....easy to keep clean and doesnt show blemishes.
    3HBlair
    2008 F250 FX4 Crew Cab PSD
    1995 Centurion
    2010 Suburban
    2006 H3
    2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Dodge Ram Club Cab (6in lift)

Member Serious

Congrats!! Idaho just keeps producing!!

And then there were EIGHT Centurions in Arizona!
    And I have TWO!!!!!
    Congrats man. You, me, and Heatmeiser need to get together.
    American by birth; Soldier by choice

Senior Member Committed Polarburg's Avatar

Great looking truck . Looks to be a good one. The cummins swap is a bit pricey if you try to retain the ford trans . To buy the adapter parts and trans controller . I would find a complete dodge truck for the donor swap , much easier to do . The early 12v in stock form is no powerhouse . But performance mods are more available . That swap requires much more fab with everything . The powerstroke swap is a bolt in / changeover swap with no fabrication and offers the increase in power and tuning mods I opted for the stroke swap cause I would have had way more money into my truck than it would be worth .with the cummins

If you want more power look around for some factory turbo setups they pop up frequently and can be bought for 700 or less or if you want a brand new turbo kit banks performance and hypermax performance have nice setups

Honestly a Cummins swap is a great idea but the money and time involved in my opinion is too much especially when you have good running 7.3 idi you could easily hop up for same amount the 6bt Cummins would cost, there is a shop in Seattle called R&D idi performance that is devoted to the 6.9 and 7.3 idi ,

Junior Member New User Bronco4x4Door's Avatar

Very Nice! True Devotion runs deep ... and sometimes that is what it takes!

Senior Member Committed

Another beautiful looking four door! Congratz

Junior Member New User

The cummins is nice, but a turbo will really liven up the IDI. Much easier and cheaper than a cummins swap, just all depends on what you want for a final result.

Junior Member Rookie

Cummins swaps are quite popular actually. You can buy nearly entire kits from websites like destroked.com or fordcummins.com. Expect to spend no less then $5k on a swap though. You really made a score there, great lookin truck.

+ Reply to Thread