+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie from Europe with Questions on Cabriolet

Manfred65

Default Newbie from Europe with Questions on Cabriolet

Hello Folks,
    let me introduce myself first:
    We live in Southern Bavaria, Germany, both around 50 years old and working as Busdrivers.
    Our Hobbies are renovating our old farmhouse and travelling, preferred in warmer regions ;-)

While searching for Truckcampers and Pickups i found this E-350 Cabriolet:

http://home.mobile.de/home/index.htm...#des_148812932

And i am very interested in this special vehicle. Ok, 4x4 is missing and it would be a challenge to
    create a matching camper without killing this style at all.

Browsing for informations it ended up in this forum as the only plant of informations on the web.
    Cabriolet doesnīt produce any more ?

Before buying a project which i am not able to calculate i like to ask some questions here:

First:
    Itīs 92 Model, imported new to germany, first Title in Germany was 97. Then used to haul a Fith-Wheeler 2-4 times/year. No commercial use at all. Then sold to a enthusiast from which the
    selling company traded it in. Itīs a 7.3 Diesel W/O Turbo, must be the IHC IDI ?

Can someone give me informations about this engine?
    Every input is aprreciated: Where to find a manual online or written, how is the reliability of this,
    whatīs to say about the power ( i think it is better not to add a turbo to receive its reliabilty )?
    Are there any know issues on these engines ?

And at what do i have to look while checking it out personally? Especially the Body ?
    Seller says it doesnīt leak at all, no rust, new tires, there is a fiberglass cover with storage boxes for the bed, Trans got a general maintenance, new torque converter....

The back of the cabin is made of Fiberglass? May be we can create a walkthrough to a campershell?

Hope to get some help from this great forum

Manfred

Senior Member Sucked In BigOldBlueC350's Avatar

Default Re: Newbie from Europe with Questions on Cabriolet

Hello Manfred ..

Der link (http://home.mobile.de/home/index.htm...#des_148812932) geht leider fuer uns nicht !
    Ich hoffe das sie eine tankstelle haben, da the 7.3 ca 17 liter pro 100km sauft und das wenn sie ihn unter 1900 rpm ( ca 120km) fahren !
    Da es aber der alte 7.3 ist koennten sie ihn umbauen das er auf alt oel lauft ! aber ohne turbo hat er, lehr oder mit anhanger / camper chnecken beschleunigung , !
    Post ein paar fotos von dem e350 !!

Manfred65

Some pics:Name:  $(KGrHqN,!ikE3Sl1K+q7BOJVHBJgww~~_27.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  57.5 KBName:  $(KGrHqR,!ioE3SH4KFLwBOJVILLWtg~~_18.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  8.3 KBName:  $(KGrHqN,!jME3MyqRZvhBOJVKeryhg~~_18.JPG
Size:  7.0 KBName:  $(KGrHqR,!lQE4lQLrciiBOJVIwI-Cw~~_18.JPG
Size:  8.5 KBName:  $(KGrHqR,!gwE4bYSUq9(BOJVJ5kVTQ~~_18.JPG
Size:  8.0 KB

Hope it works....

Manfred65

Junior Member New User

Yes the plant is closed. We are not aware of anyone else making anything like them on a large scale.

That is the IDI. Putting a turbo on it will not hurt the durability at all. Most people are not happy with the power without the turbo. It will get the job done, but it is slow.
    Otherwise it is a very reliable engine.
    I think the most common known issue is the coolant requires an additive to prevent cavitation, cavitation will cause pits and holes in the cylinder walls.
    That truck has very low km on it, I can't imagine there is anything wrong.
    I think the horsepower was like 155hp.?

The back of the cab is fiberglass. You need to look for cracks, also look for seperation where the rear cab portion is molded to the front which is metal. It can be repaired, but over time the bond will crack and come loose, letting water in.

Manfred65

First iīd start without turbo. Checking the power ( or if there is something like that ). I donīt need to haul anything. Only a few days a year my trailer of max. 6000 lbs loaded. I think i will install a custom made camper ( Alaskan or Phoenixpopup.com). (I wrote that i searched for a truckcamper).
    Will be a challenge to do so if we try it.

Can you help me with an approximate measure ? The heigth from the bed to the top off the roof ?

At the moment iīll try to find out the rear axle gears it has. I read about mpg between 12 and 20 mpg on these engines (also on E-350) in several forums.
    I hope to get not too low mpg because our use will be 2-5% trailering, 20-40% with an camper not more than 2000 lbs and 50%+ empty.

I hope to get the fiberglass repaired if necessary because i am little familiar with this from modelling hobbies and a friend of mine works in a Bus repairshop and has
    lots of laminating to do there.

Manfred65

It has the 4.1 rear axle. Some thoughts. Weigth over 3,5 tons/germany which means 7716 lbs.
    so Speed is limited in Germany at 50 mph , they tolerate 60 mph.

Opinions ?

Junior Member New User

The IDI likes those speeds. I don't think you will have any problem without a turbo. Good fuel mileage too.

Here in the states people have come to think they need to pull their 8,000 pound camper at 85 mph and that is where the IDI gets a bad name. It was never designed to do that kind of work.

Manfred65

@Traveller. Thank you for your Statement. I hoped that it will be like this.
    Now i have to check the camperoptions at Alaskan and Phoenix.
    I am so lucky to have a wife that is also interested in this idea.

Hope to get the time to check the body and do a testdrive the next weeks.
    Only alternative is a F250 at the moment. But thats not as stylish as this truck.
    Regards
    Manfred

+ Reply to Thread