+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7-8 mnth repair

Senior Member Sucked In AK Westphal's Avatar

Default 7-8 mnth repair

So I started this repair last spring was frustrated with a couple other projects and tore into it without the time to commit to getting it done. I puttered with it off and on over the summer before weather got cold, but with two young kids and my wife back in school I could only get an hour or two at a time. So I got most of the bondo ground off, I recomend the most abrasive wire wheel on a nine inch grinder you can find. I nearly burned up two 4.5" grinders before I borrowed a nine inch from work. My roof was in rough shape, not the worst I've seen but needed to be done when I bought the truck not three years later. In the future I'd like to tackle cracks when they first apear before water can get under them. So after winter hit I couldn't work on it so finally contacted a body shop locally. Small Private company, She mostly does older car restorations, She did an amazing job and reasonable.
    This is the condition of the roof when I bought the truck:
    Name:  1785.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  28.6 KBName:  1784.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  25.0 KBName:  1783.jpg
Size:  25.2 KBName:  roof shot 1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  49.7 KB

Default Re: 7-8 mnth repair

pictures to come of grinding job

This is where I dropped it off at, visor removed, headliner and interior gutted, most of bondo ground out, about -25 outside four hours of daylight a day and the Tuesday night before Christmas.
    Name:  truck at body shop.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  25.6 KBName:  beginning.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  26.3 KB

I'm lucky and Stacey likes to take pictures of the progress she makes on rigs so I got some awesome photos when she was done. She welded up a couple wiring holes in the roof including the wiring hole from the visor that came down the drivers side instead of the passenger side. In case you didn't know on the passenger side there is a plug for clearance lights on all these trucks and superduties, why splice into headlight wiring when there is already wires designated for the cab lights? She also welded up pin holes in the metal that she found, then did some lead filler over the worst of the seams then fiberglass then a skim of bondo. We had talked about the fact that no matter how much bondo she used you can't get the roof to drain so I wanted it smoothed off and as little bondo as possible. I think it looks better than it ever did, I think we both understood that in time with use it will crack again, so my expectations are realistic and she did what she could keeping material thin and mostly using fiberglass so hopefully it will last a bit longer. She even fixed a couple dimples I put in crawling on the roof with my fat ass.
    Starting fiberglass
    Name:  beginning fiberglass.jpg
Size:  22.4 KB
    Attached Images    

Starting the paint, I just had the roof repainted.
    Name:  primered.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  20.3 KBName:  roof beginning to paint.jpg
Size:  19.0 KB

I also had the visor refinished then I rewired it and replaced the bulbs and for the first time all the lights work
    Attached Images    

The finished paint as I picked it up.
    Name:  painted.jpg
Size:  23.1 KBName:  painted roof.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  20.2 KB

She called me Thursday after Christmas to tell me I could pick it up. I took it to my brothers garage to put it back together that weekend, a few destractions and over twelve hours of very frustrating assembly we had it back together. I hate the interiors on these things

pictures of final assembly to come.

The shop I took it to is Phoenix rising body and paint in Fairbanks Alaska, Stacey Snyder is the owner operator, she did an awesome job she had a couple cars she was working on, one was a repaint on a corvette the other was a GTO that was so far gone I don't think any of us would even try to save it, you can check out some of her work on facebook, she has albums of the vehicles she has done. When she came to the house and looked at the truck she gave me an estimate for doing the roof($1500), then for repainting the truck($3500+for two tone). She stuck to the estimate even though there was a little more metal work then I think we realized at first. I did add the visor for another $200. Not in my budget to paint the whole truck right now. She did say she's never been up and down a ladder so much to paint a truck She called me the Thursday after Christmas to let me know it was done, so 8 days she had the truck with the Christmas holiday in the middle of it. I thought it was totally reasonable and an amazing turn around. Side note driving with the visor removed, there is an incredible amount of wind noise even at low speeds I thought the driveline or t-case was going out.
    When she came to my house she drove her truck which is about the same height as the Centurion. When I came back in side my son asked who that was and I said Stacey she's going to finish dads truck for him. His responce was, "but she's driving a monster truck, girls don't drive monster trucks" I love kids

Junior Member New User

That looks fantastic. I have been wondering about using lead to back fill the areas that need so much bondo. Now I am going to have to try it.

+ Reply to Thread