+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: modified super duty wheels

Member Dedicated

There is someone in my area selling some super duty wheels that were modified to work on our rigs. He had them machined and steel conical inserts installed for our 8on 6.5 pattern. He said it was no big deal and they work great.They now locate on the lugs instead of using the hub.He's lifted his rig and installing big meats so he's selling. Sounds like a inexpensive way to get some wheels and tires because SD wheels are for sale everywhere.
    95 f350 crew cab,4wd,7.3,auto,roll-a-long,alcoas w/285s,tymar intake & hpx,4"afe,four wheel camper,cross enterprises trail mate bumper system
    WWW.CROSSENTERPRISES.COM

Pessimisticly Optimistic Sucked In JohnDeStef's Avatar

Yep, I was also hoping to find a way to use Super Duty wheels. *Isn't there a 8 on 170 to 8 on 6.5 adaptor?

eBay sale... Weld Sidewinders 16.5 x 9.75

........answered my own question with a little internet digging. *Adaptors are available, but @ $140 each. *

Wouldn't steel inserts in alloy wheels lead to corrosion??

USAF C-17 Avionics Sucked In adrianspeeder's Avatar

What is so special bout the superduty rims? I was wanting to do the opposite and get some plane steel ones for the diesel like before these goofy looking fake alcoas that use a friggin metric pattern.

Adrianspeeder

Member Dedicated

One of my customers who runs a tire shop dropped off his scrambler for some work today and said he has a guy that reworks SD wheels and does them alot. He can rework a set for $200 that includes re-polishing them.Some of these SD guys are giving them away. He says that alcoa still makes alot of the oem wheels for the auto makers. So some of those wheels you see might not be fake alcoas.
    He says the strength and materials are much better than alot of aftermarket companys. I put a lot of "factory" alcoas (The ones that came on some broncos and f150s) on customers early broncos and like the look and fit of stock but not stock.
    Personal preference but that's the look i'm after. OEM looking but not if you know what i mean.
    95 f350 crew cab,4wd,7.3,auto,roll-a-long,alcoas w/285s,tymar intake & hpx,4"afe,four wheel camper,cross enterprises trail mate bumper system
    WWW.CROSSENTERPRISES.COM

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]OEM looking but not if you know what i mean.
    That's what I'm trying to go for too. *So I'm shopping for some Welds, either Outbacks... * OR Sidewinders...

There's a set of 16.5 x 12 Outbacks on eBay STUPID cheap, but they're too big I think for the stock look. *AND they have the 170mm pattern. *But with the low price, shipping to mod the pattern, and shipping to me, would still keep em under $700. *But*I think I want to stay with 16.5 x 9.75 w/ 33 x 12.5s. *

Is anyone on the list running 12 inch wide rims? *Got pics???

Member Dedicated

I have some weld Typhoons laying around if your interested. They are 16.5x9.75 with our 8 on 6.5 pattern. I had a creaking sound on the front end of a customers truck so we sent the welds back and they sent out some new ones. This was a few years ago. We took them off recently for a different wheel and tire combo and noticed that two of the welds are slightly different. The customer or I never noticed it before until now. Not a big deal but if your interested i take some pics.
    WWW.CROSSENTERPRISES.COM

Wow, thank you for that offer. *I think I'm not going to go with directional rims. *But honestly, thanks for offering... there's a reason, right there, * *why this group is great!

I'm *really* watching these two eBay auctions, even though they're 16x10 rims...
    Weld Outbacks
    and
    Weld EVO Renegade XTs
    although after some digging, I can't verify those are EVO Renegade XTs. *The current XTs are different.

Member Dedicated

The customer will take $300 for the set and no need to thank.
    WWW.CROSSENTERPRISES.COM

*You're asking $300 for the Typhoons?

Member Dedicated

Correct. $300 for a set of four 16.5x9.75 with a 8 on 6.5 pattern. Thats all the customer wants out of them so i'll pass on the deal if your interested.
    WWW.CROSSENTERPRISES.COM

Member Serious

Hey, what sizes are our stock tires? I have a 97 F250 HD and I was planning on gettin a set of these, what are the differences in the tires that you noticed? Do you have any pics of them?

RedNeck In Montana Sucked In InfoFord's Avatar

stock tire is 235/85R-16

Pimpin' ain't easy Committed Shift's Avatar

Are these guys drilling a new bolt pattern inbetween the stock holes or are they just ovaling the stock holes?

I have access to some 18x10 Weld Dakar's with Superduty bolt pattern and it looks tough to do.
    My Rides:
    1993 C-350 6" lift, 35's, 460, -- Divorce forced sale 10/2010
    1953 Ford F-100 -- sitting on '98 Ford Explorer 5.0 chassis
    1974 Ford F-250 Crewcab 460/4-speed --- Filling the bronco void -- Awaiting modern drivetrain swap
    1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible -- Full custom
    2011 Maserati Gran Turismo S
    2014 Lincoln MKZ
    2003 Lincoln LS

Moved to AZ in 2013

Member Dedicated

What they do is bore the hole out larger then install steel inserts. The major difference is in how they are fastened . Our trucks use a conical(tapered) lug nut and the super duty uses a shank style because they use the hub to center the wheel not the lugs. The hole pattern is not the issue, It's the type of hole. Does that help?
    WWW.CROSSENTERPRISES.COM

Pimpin' ain't easy Committed Shift's Avatar

Pics would help.
    My Rides:
    1993 C-350 6" lift, 35's, 460, -- Divorce forced sale 10/2010
    1953 Ford F-100 -- sitting on '98 Ford Explorer 5.0 chassis
    1974 Ford F-250 Crewcab 460/4-speed --- Filling the bronco void -- Awaiting modern drivetrain swap
    1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible -- Full custom
    2011 Maserati Gran Turismo S
    2014 Lincoln MKZ
    2003 Lincoln LS

Moved to AZ in 2013

I'm about finished looking for 16.5x9.75, w/ 8 on 6.5 rims. *I'd like to know more about having SD rims modified.

Is there a phone number, address, or web site for the guys modifying/polishing these rims?

I'll have the eBay seller ship to the wheels shop, and once modded the shop can ship to me.

UPDATE...
    These Weld Sidewinder rims are the LAST thing, on my list of things, to do to the truck once it arrives. *My Cent will arrive home by Monday, August 29th at the latest. *Other parts for the truck are starting to pile up: *33x12.5x16.5 BFG TAs, front bumper valance w/ lights Jason!, front clear corner lenses w/ titanium bulbs (amber) & a Lund clear hood bug deflector (it'll be painted on the inside to match). *I'm also watching an auction for a Lund windshield sun visor.

Consideration is being given to... a factory diesel front bumper with cut-outs, Rancho RS9000X shocks, velvet ride shackles, poly bushings, and a rear Hellwig bar. *Would a K&N intake w/ box from a '94 7.3L work on my '93 turbo diesel? *K&N's site doesn't list one for a '93....? *Regardless, I'm gonna wait and see how Banks equipped the truck.

AND I just went over the pics the seller took of the truck, the MF'r doesn't have power windows. *It's been years since I've had a vehicle without 'em. *

Senior Member Sucked In

that's surprising that you dont' have at least front power windows I've seen quite a few that only have front power windows with manual rear windows.

I'm not sure about the intake what I will say is that K&N filters are generally not well recieved in the PSD market. Quite a few guys have had toasted turbos & engines due to them. If you're looking for plenty of reading and all the information that you want you can visit www.oilburners.net or www.thedieselstop.com and visit the IDI sections. They'll be able to tell you for sure about the intake from a turboed '94 though you'd have to make sure that you were getting a turboed IDI. If I'm not mistaken the intake is changed completely from stock with the banks kits. A quick check of the banks site gives you a reuseable filter with the turbo kit. http://www.galebanks.com/System.cfm?...04&sysid=SF10#
    There are no rules in life. You have to think!

USAF C-17 Avionics Sucked In adrianspeeder's Avatar

I believe all the 96 ford trucks had the bumper airflow cutouts.

Adrianspeeder

Mike, thanks for the phone call. *Unfortunately I lost your email addy before I could send the eBay link. *Here it is... eBay, aluminum slots, 8 on 6.5.

BJS I hope you're right about the windows! *I'd sure like to have 'em up front at least. *Funny, I didn't get pics of the driver/passenger area (except the floor where the cd changer is) or the engine bay. *

Thanks for the Banks link. *I hope I've got the wastegated setup pictured. *That is a beautiful setup.

My area is rapidly losing the pick and pull junkyards. *But I'll keep an eye out for the '96 Fords, thanks Adrian!

BTW, the Weld Sidewinder seller pulled the auction. *I suppose the rims have already sold. *Here I go again * * *

I went to look at a new set of 8 on 170 Weld Outbacks a local seller has on eBay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....MEWA:IT

I don't see how these rims can be modified. *The lug nut holes are so close to the hole for the hub, there seems to be minimal metal to cut away. *I assume the lug holes have to move 2.5mm closer together, plus another mm for haof of the width of the steel insert. *In addition, the area for the socket must be enlarged also. *There doesn't seem to be 4+/-mm of metal available to cut...? *

I'm referring to the amount of metal between the hub hole and recessed lug area for the socket. *(does that make sense?) *Probably best seen at the bottom center of the rim.

I'm having problems posting the second picture listed in the auction. That's the one I'm referring to...

+ Reply to Thread