+ Reply to Thread

Thread: seat swap?

Senior Member Sucked In AK Westphal's Avatar

Default seat swap?

Ok, know I have seen several people talk about swapping seats but tried searching and nothing came up. What are best options for old bench seat trucks? Any body actually do a swap to super duty seats like people have mentioned? What is involved?

Senior Member Sucked In Steve83's Avatar

Default Re: seat swap?

Virtually any seat can be swapped into a vehicle as big as a FS truck - it's just a matter of what chair you like, what you can find, what you can afford, and how much adaption it takes to fit it to the floor. All car seats are designed around the same ergonomic model of a human, so they're pretty much interchangeable.

Senior Member Sucked In AK Westphal's Avatar

ok, a fabricator can put any seat in anything and these trucks are plenty big to fit most seats, but a lot of people have talked about putting newer super duty seats in. I was wondering if any one has done it and if they have any info on what worked well and what problems they ran into. Has any one done a write up on a seat swap? I didn't find anything when I searched.

Senior Member Sucked In heatmiser's Avatar

I just did the superduty seats in my '79 but no write up but we were trying to make the newer mounts work and that was I pain, we also have put the same seats in a '96 crew cab with the center seat wouldn't recommend that cause its makes it hard to get your hand down between the seat and door
    1979 F350 Crewcab Longbed 4x4 (being retro-restored)
    1969 Z28/RS/SS Convertible (being retro-restored) Mine!!
    [COLOR="Magenta"]1996 C350 Centurion 4x4
    2005 F350 4x4...work truck
    2006 Lincoln LS...son's Daily Driver
    1976 Bronco...Toy (Finished...Yeah!!!!)

'Deus, dona mihi serenitatem accipere res quae non possum mutare, fortitudinem mutare res quae possum, atque sapientiam differentiam cognoscere.'

The only write up I've seen was on Steve83 web site, but it was mainly on recovering the seat if I remember correctly.

The main things you have to watch is the overall width fitting your truck, That's simply measuring. The hardest part is making either your existing bracket fit the new seat, or the new bracket fitting the holes in the floor. I would suggest you check how tall the new seat will be compared to the old.

Administrator Sucked In 4doorbronko's Avatar

If you don't use the factory mounting holes, make sure to reinforce the new holes with oversized washers at least, otherwise the floor will tear out over time.
    William E. Shobel
    1941-2010

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel. "

A list of the toys

Senior Member Sucked In Steve83's Avatar

Yeah, my pics are just about how to take a chair apart, clean it, add options, and reassemble it. But it shows a chair going into the vehicle it was designed for.

These show chairs installed in the "wrong" vehicle:

. . .

I don't consider myself a "fabricator" - I can barely weld - but I'm pretty happy with how that '75 Bronco came out. This shows how the seats mount in '92-96 F-series & Broncos:

+ Reply to Thread