+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: E4OD rebuild

Junior Member New User

Default Re: E4OD rebuild

What about a bad transfer case?

Kind of sounds like there is a clutch hanging up in the trans. But you said it acted like this before you swapped it right? So I would look at the transfer case, check the oil level. That type of thing.

Junior Member Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    What about a bad transfer case?

Kind of sounds like there is a clutch hanging up in the trans. But you said it acted like this before you swapped it right? So I would look at the transfer case, check the oil level. That type of thing.
    It did act the same before the swap. Figured it was because of the transmission. I checked the oil. It's good. This transfer case is also out of the 96. I left it attached when I took the transmission out. Didn't see no reason not to use it.

Junior Member New User

I am still trying to think outside the box here, what about a brake hanging up, like a stuck e brake cable?
    Or bad wheel bearing?
    Maybe jack it up and run it with the wheels on jack stands, count the shifts and see how it acts?
    Sorry you have a tough one.

Junior Member Rookie

This was supposed to be a nice easy swap lol. Never goes as planned. I've been busy at work so I'll have to put it on jack stands tomorrow. I talked to some more tranny shops and junk yards about this problem. They are all telling me that the 96 tranny is not going to work. I don't understand what they could have changed in the tranny that would cause this problem. Maybe the torque converter.... That would probably cause this.

Junior Member New User

I thought the change was 97, but I just looked and the overhaul kits for 96-97 are different but it only says because the valve body gaskets and pan gasket is different.
    The only thing that could have changed otherwise is the solenoid pack, which you can drop the pan and change it out with your old one. I had read the '96 had a different diode or something goofy like that.

The torque convertor should be the same, only difference is if something is telling it to turn on.
    Which unplugging the trans should have eliminated that problem.

Still, why did the problem not change when the transmission did, even with the wrong transmission you are having the same issues. That is what I can't get over.

Junior Member Rookie

Question: the old transmission is burnt out so would it be wise to swap the solenoid from it? What is the diode?
    That's what has everyone puzzled. Some people say that the tranny will make it run this way and others disagree and say I have an engine problem. the tranny shops and the junkyards say it's the tranny. Everything happened when I blew the tranny. It was acting this way with the right transmission but bad. I'm not understanding how a good transmission but different parts takes its place but yet has the same side effects that the other did.... Maybe I burnt my ECU. That would certainly explain the problems but again not understanding how that could happen with a high rev.

Junior Member Rookie

So I was just looking for answers on google again and this is what I found. (1995 and after they will bolt up but there were changes in the plug for the solenoid pack and 1996 and newer had different clutches inside so the computer was calibrated different.) Would this explain my problem? Sounds like I would need to change the ECU to the 96 and add a MAF or change/rebuild the transmission to be compatible.

Junior Member New User

That is where I get confused. Even if the clutches are different and it takes different timing you should still be able to pull the shifter down into first gear and drive it without trouble.

I still think the problem is elsewhere. Not saying the transmission will work without modifications but still don't think that is the cause.
    I just can't imagine something like an ignition module creating that problem on a consistent basis like you are saying, or what other engine problem could do that.
    A bad engine computer should throw engine codes, or not be able to communicate at all. Have you tried to pull codes?

Junior Member Rookie

I have not tried to pull codes yet. Not really sure how to do that. I don't really want to drive it the way it is to a shop. I think I might try counting the flashing light.

Where is Steve83 when you need him? That guy knows everything!

Seriously, I think Traveler is probably the most experienced transmission guy we have. Trucking, Are you on Full Size Bronco? Steve83 is on both. Other than him there are a few guys over there that I swear either work for ford as mechanics or designed these trucks because the know everything there is to know. Miesk5 is one of them.
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    1995 C350 4x4 7.5L
    1965 Buick Riviera 6.6L
    1961 Shasta 19' Deluxe Camper
    1948 Spartan Manor Tandem Camper Restoration

Junior Member Rookie

Yeah I was on that site. I couldn't post a thread bc I didn't have enough post. I posted my problem in a couple of threads but didn't get any results.

Junior Member New User

I know this is an old thread, but I am having an odd problem with my 1995 F150 with the E4OD transmission. The truck runs great and shifts fine, but every once in a while when you shift it into reverse it acts like the parking brake is on and won't move at all. It accepts the gear and is putting a load on it, but just won't move. I have talked to transmission shops around but all just want to rebuild it and go on. I don't think it needs a complete rebuild, but not totally for sure. When it does this I will shift into low 1 let it lurch forward a little and the same through the rest of the gears. I will then put it into reverse and it hesitates like a short bind and will work as normal. Could there be an o-ring or gasket broken up in there like between something in the valve body that is leaking pressure somewhere? Or have any of you heard of anything like this? Any help would be appreciated as google isn't bringing any results in.
    Thanks

Junior Member New User

Oddly enough I have run into that. In my case it was a 1 way clutch failing. It could be a seal, or sticky clutch pack but in your case it still is internal.
    There is nothing external to the transmission that can fix or cause this. It has to come out and be torn down. You would probably be money ahead to try and find a used one someplace and put it in depending on how you use the truck and how much longer you expect to keep it.

Junior Member New User

Not the answer that I was particularly looking for lol, but the one I was most expecting to hear. Thank you very much, I will begin searching for a good one as I just bought the truck for my son which turns 16 in a few months and he absolutely loves it.

Junior Member New User

So I'm in the process of tearing into my brother-in-law's e40d. When I was taking it apart the overdrive apply piston snap ring the holds the retaining spring in was already off. Is the the cause of the no forward gears? Everything else looks fine. But I'm no trans expert.

Junior Member New User

Yep. I believe there is a tsb on that and an updated snap ring

Junior Member New User

Ok. So where should I get the snap ring from? Also where can I get a seal kit?

Junior Member New User

Napa has seal kits. Order online for trans parts. That is about the only place to get them.
    Can't remember the website but racerx is really good.

Junior Member New User

So I have a couple more questions. I went to replace the sealing rings on the forward drum and I had to break the old ones to get them off because of the wear on the shaft. The new sealing rings are a very tight. I'm afraid I'm going to break them. Do I need a new drum? Also the inside of the center support shaft that slides over the forward drum shows some wear. It's pretty rough on one side. Should I get a new one of them too?

Junior Member New User

Also on the from pump. Should the shaft spin by hand?

+ Reply to Thread