+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: E4OD rebuild

Junior Member New User

Default Re: E4OD rebuild

It was something i kinda of expected. Learn by doing. First time I rebuilt a moter (at 14 years old), I had to do it 3 times to get it right. Am disasembeling the tranny all the way and cleaning everything again. I will double check all the spect as I rebuild. Thanks for the info.

Junior Member New User

This is a nice informative write-up, and I'm planning to use it as a reference. But I've got a stupid question - How can one find out which rebuild kit(s) have what in them? I'm looking to rebuild a 94 E4OD (F2UP-EC) w/ ~200k miles on it, and I know I need gaskets, o-rings, seals, steels and frictions, balls, bushings and a band - all the wear parts and such. I'll also want a new torque converter.
    I see overhaul kits, rebuild kits, master kits, shift kits... I don't know what the difference is. Granted, I _AM_ an idiot, but how are people s'posed to know this?

Junior Member New User

It is really hard for normal people like us to get some of these parts.
    If you get a master overhaul kit, or master rebuild kit at a local parts store. They will typically have seals, friction and steels, a band, and maybe a new filter.
    The bushing kit you will have to order separately.
    The thrust washer kit you will have to order separately.
    And of course the torque convertor you will have to get separately.
    Shift kits very from manufacturer but they have to be purchased separately.
    I can't remember about the balls, I think they come with certain shift kits.
    The solenoid pack can be bought separately at the parts store as well.

Most kits will list what types of friction plates they use. We normally don't go for the high dollar fancy stuff when the tranny lasted so long on the originals unless it is going behind a built up diesel.

If you want to upgrade the pump you need to buy it online, or a larger accumulator valve in the valve body. Any other upgrades like a bearing center support, steel planetaries. That type of thing.
    There are a few guys running around the diesel sites that handle those hard parts if you are looking to upgrade them.

You are always better off rebuilding a tranny that you knew used to work. Starting with someones core is never a great idea. The case itself could be bad a normal shade tree guy like us would not know it.

Junior Member New User

Thanks for that. Folks like you make these forum experiences great.
    And I'm not looking for a "built" tranny, I just want to keep this one on the road. Heck - the engine has ~200k miles on it, too. I would be extremely happy with just a stock reliable transmission.

It's had lots of hard workshop miles, hauling equipment and tools, and according to the guys that had it originally at their shop, it has had some sort of problem since it was born. They said that it slipped when it was cold, and that allegedly someone had told them that there was a recall on the torque converter, but that it had never been addressed. I've probably put ~60k miles on it in 7 or 8 years, but the transmission has gotten progressively worse, and it does some strange things.

Its had intermittent 624/625 problems, and so may have solenoid and/or EPC servo issues and possibly a harness problem, but there are also TCC lockup problems and neutralling out in OD. It's done some serious stinking when it starts slipping, too.

So for me, it seems like it's time to pull it and replace the wear parts, check gears and carriers and pump lobes, get hands on the solenoids, and replace the TC. Harness access should be pretty easy while it's out too.

I don't know kit from shinola, but I have my eye on a TransParts "Master Rebuild Kit", which seems to have seals, gaskets, o-rings, balls, and center support bolts. I'll kick in a bushing kit and a stock TC, and I probaly should just pop for the solenoid pack without even thinking about it.

Junior Member New User

That sounds like a great plan.
    One of the biggest risks of running a slipping trans is the clutch material gets into the oil passages and blocks them.
    This starves everything from cooling oil and lubrication often causing hard part failures. So when you get in there, look at everything very close for odd coloring or wear. It shows up wear you least expect it.

Junior Member New User

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    That sounds like a great plan.
    One of the biggest risks of running a slipping trans is the clutch material gets into the oil passages and blocks them.
    This starves everything from cooling oil and lubrication often causing hard part failures. So when you get in there, look at everything very close for odd coloring or wear. It shows up wear you least expect it.
    That little titbit is probably worth the price of admission all by itself. Thanks again.

Junior Member New User

Is there a way to confirm that Ford's part 7G391 is the correct solenoid pack for a 94 E4OD?

Junior Member New User

You missing a few numbers in that part number but yeah that solenoid works from 1989-1994 so you are good to go.

Senior Member Sucked In sheepman's Avatar

I'd like to add that I have used and get the tranny parts I need from racerXusa.com is a good source for transmission parts and they have great customer service.
    1997 F350 Centurion Pacifica
    1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer
    2003 Cub Cadet 1517

My Photos

Junior Member Rookie

Hey I just read this whole thread. Some very good information on here. I will be printing some just in case. What brings me to this forum is that I'm having some problems of my own and looking for any kind of help. I have a 92 ford bronco with a 5.8L E4OD. In the blizzard we had I blew my tranny. I had gotten stuck in the snow and when I was trying to wiggle out my throttle cable had gotten stuck at a high rev. I had shut the engine and fixed the stuck cable but by this time it was already to late. The tranny had no park, rev and no neutral. everything acted like a gear to move forward. I drove it to my job where I could work on it. On the way I had to drive slow because a lot of the time she would want to stall when given gas. I have a spare 96 bronco for parts (badly rotted). I swapped the tranny with mine. I'm still having trouble with my engine now. She still wants to stall when I give it gas. I can drive it if I take it easy and feather the gas pedal. I have checked everything from burnt wires to cylinder compression. Is there a difference from the 96 to the 92 tranny that would cause this problem? I'm at a loss. fuel pressure is good, changed the fuel filter, regulator, checked plugs and wires, checked vacuum lines, tps, iac, timing and yet everything is coming up fine. the tranny from the 96 did work fine when I brought the truck home. I changed the filter and the fluid in it. I've talked to other mechanics but no one has a clue. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Junior Member New User

First off, Does it have a park or neutral? Or is it stuck in gear even when you start it?
    So you can't rev it in neutral?
    If you put your transfer case in neutral can you rev the engine?

Did you swap torque convertors? Or use the old one?

Junior Member Rookie

First off, Does it have a park or neutral? Or is it stuck in gear even when you start it?
    So you can't rev it in neutral?
    If you put your transfer case in neutral can you rev the engine?

Did you swap torque convertors? Or use the old one?
    I swapped the converter and I have park,rev, neutral and drive since I changed tranny. It's the motor now. feels like she's running under a load and just boggs down and wants to stall.

Junior Member Rookie

I can rev it in park and neutral. she has a little bit of a back fire. If I put it in drive and mash the gas she starts to spin the tire then starts to stall. I can drive if I go nice and slow but when she gets up to speed (40-60 mph) she will start to stall again.

Junior Member New User

Can you hook up the fuel pressure gauge and run it up until it starts to stall?

if the fuel pressure isn't dropping off, like a plugged fuel filter or pickup sock, then you are looking at things like plugged tail pipe, air filter. Possibly ignition problem.
    But verify your fuel pressure isn't dropping off when it happens first.
    I have run the fuel pressure gauge up and duct taped it to the outside of the windshield and drove the truck around to watch it under a load.

Junior Member Rookie

I would have to rent the gauge again. The fuel filter is new and so it the regulator. The tailpipe is not clogged for I have straight pipes with flow masters. They are only a couple months old. I called two transmission shops today. They told me that there is a huge difference on the transmissions. They said that the 96 will not work in the 92. Is this correct and would this be why I'm having all these problems with the motor? If it is why could you explain how the transmission would make the engine run like this. I'm just curious because I never heard about any problems like this.

Junior Member New User

The only possibility is if the transmission is trying to engage the torque convertor or something like that.
    Un plug the electrical connector on the trans and then try to run the engine.
    That will prevent the trans from screwing with anything.

I think you can swap them. 96 had some updates. That is about it.

Junior Member Rookie

Okay so just I attached the fuel gauge again and drove it. There was no pressure drop. I'm going to disconnect the wires and see what happens. Do I disconnect all the plugs or just the solenoid plug?

Junior Member Rookie

So I disconnected the solenoid and still had the same problem. She felt like she was towing something and barly moving. Then she boggs down and stalls. Thanks again for your help.

Junior Member New User

Will it rev normal in park or neutral?

Junior Member Rookie

Will it rev normal in park or neutral?
    Yes, with no hesitation.

+ Reply to Thread