+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: E4OD rebuild

1995 5speed PSD Sucked In bob_95_psd's Avatar

Default Re: E4OD rebuild

So I scanned it today and the only code I got was DTC:637. Transmission oil Temp circut above max voltage. Where does that Point me?

Junior Member New User

I can't read the diagram from my phone very well but think it means you have a bad ground wire coming out of the harness.
    which also puts it into limp mode

Junior Member New User

I have some conflicting information here but looks like the wires from ecm to tranny are as such
    orange/yellow
    orange/black
    purple/orange
    white/yellow
    purple/yellow
    tan/white
    white/ lt green
    brown/orange

Looks like those are the colors for bronco from 1992-1995

Now I need to find another book to fill in the blanks on how to test each one.

Are you sure you know where the tranny came from?

Junior Member New User

just for kicks unplug the harness and see if it acts any different. I don't think it will.
    kind of sound like a different solenoid pack or harness configuration

Update,

I was getting power to pin 1 but I found a problem with the connection. Fix that, cleared the codes and went for a test drive.

Now it takes off pretty normal, I have all 4 gears plus the TC is locking/unlocking properly. However I do not have any kickdown or downshift at all. If I take off at full throttle it shifts through the gears very quick. It shifts fine through all gears manually. Also it still hits reverse pretty hard.

Pulled the codes again and now all I get is 121 for Closed throttle voltage to high or to low. This is KOEO, no codes at KOER.

Any thoughts while I'm researching?

The tranny came from a 1993 EB Bronco.

Junior Member New User

fix your throttle position sensor problem and your kickdown will be fixed
    hitting reverse is somewhat normal I am not sure what you consider hard you are lucky you don't have a delay into reverse this may straighten itself out

Update,

I replaced the TPS and all is good. Tranny works great.

The original problem was that the wire harness plugs were different between the original and the doner. The 1994 harness had sort of a collar half way down the plug and would not go all the way into the 1993 tranny socket. I was able to remove the collar from the plug so the new socket would accept it.

The overheat code was likely lefty over from the original tranny. It's gone now as well.

The 121 code was a bad TPS that was likely a prexisting condition.

Thanks for all the help,

Bob

It does not hit hard into reverse any longer either.

The darn thing drives really good. It's my plan to sell it but as much as I hate to admit liking an automatic I kinda do. Next fix will be a clock spring to get the horn and cruise working. The tailgate and rear window turned out to be an easy fix.

Junior Member New User

That is great news. It is nice to have a change once in a while between auto and manual.

Glad you got it all worked out.

Rookie here.
    Sorry but I haven't had a F-350 before and never had problems with my 2-door's trans. Just curious about the condition of my E4OD in the 4-door. It was rebuilt by a shop about 100k ago while a PO owned it. Rebuild included a shift kit.

It feels strong and shifts smooth, except OD shift is a slight jerk at slow speed (45-ish). I drive like a grandma so this is at low rpms. So far I rarely exceed 2k rpms before a shift. It's not going to give me wiplash or anything, but wondering if this is a sign of things to come or normal with a shift kit.
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    1995 C350 4x4 7.5L
    1965 Buick Riviera 6.6L
    1961 Shasta 19' Deluxe Camper
    1948 Spartan Manor Tandem Camper Restoration

Junior Member New User

Normal for a shift kit for the most part.

Heat is the biggest killer of the transmission. Add a good cooler if it doesn't have one and a temp gauge is a nice safety.
    Heat is generated mostly by the converter not being locked up. So slow climbs like up pikes peak where you don't reach of 20mph. Major heat issues.

The next thing, a shift kit typically increases line pressure and quickens shifts between gears.
    A quick firm shift is better for the transmission than the girly man slide shifts. So it may not be normal compared to other E4ODs but it is a good thing.

Junior Member New User

Traveler
    Thanks for the thread, it has been very helpful. I'm putting a pump back together from a rebuilt unit. I didn't have the TC seated all the way (installing it on the ground) and damaged the pump gear and TC hub. I dressed the Gearotor and got a new TC but noticed the bushing seems a little loose when I put the front halve of pump on TC. How do you qualify this? Not sure if bushing was not replaced or maybe TC hub was turned/worn down...or maybe a little wiggle is ok? Do you happen to know?

My rig is a 94 E350 short bus with a 7.3 IDI

Junior Member New User

If you don't know the history put a new bushing and seal in it to be safe.
    You can typically buy the bushings separately at places like NAPA for just a couple bucks.

A little movement is okay. The transmission fluid is supposed to fill the gap and lubricate it as it spins. If it is too tight then there is no room for lubrication and you run the risk of spinning the busing when it heats up and expands.

Never heard of someone turning the hub of a TC, you should be able to throw a micrometer on it, or even a cheapy caliper to measure it and make sure it is close.

You are right though, better check it now rather than drop it again later because of a leak.
    Don't forget to face the bushing the proper direction and stake it in place.

Junior Member Curious

I've got a couple E4OD problems, too.

First, I'm having a '96 E4OD swapped into my '94 F350. The '96 did not come with a dipstick tube and the one from the '94 doesn't fit because it's too small for the hole in the '96 case. I need the bottom part of the dipstick tube for the '96 but Ford doesn't stock it anymore. The parts guy gave me a part # D8TZ-7A228-B and suggested I search the internet. No luck so far.

Next, just bought another Bronco (#6) a '90 with a hard shifting E4OD. Fluid is dark and burnt. Pulled codes and came up with a 98 "Electronic pressure control driver open in PCM". Is this a computer, wiring or trans problem?

Junior Member New User

The bronco problem sounds like pcm or wiring. Where the harness plugs into the tranny it takes a lot of heat. I would check there first for broken, burnt, or corroded wires.
    After that it is probably the pcm. A bad solenoid should through a different code.

I will have th check on the dipstick I had no idea.

Junior Member New User

So I wonder if it is related to the 95 and older short tubes.
    I couldnt find anything either. I would call a tranny shop or like ats, banks, brians transmissions. see if they can give you insight and fix you up.

Junior Member Curious

Crawled under the Bronco and the plug looked OK, so I swapped the pcm with the one from my '91 Bronco. Took a drive and it shifted smooth and easy. Looks like I'll be hunting for a new pcm. Thanks for the suggestions, I really didn't want to shell out the coin for a rebuild.

On the dipstick tube, I took the cheap way out. I fired up the lathe and turned a bushing to make the old tube fit.

Junior Member New User

I have a '95 Bronco 4X4 that I purchased with a transmission going in it. Before the rebuild, it wouldn't shift beyond 1st gear and reverse was weak. It leaked pretty bad.

I did a complete transmission rebuild, (my 1st), and also installed the TransGo HD2-D shift kit with the pump modification. I took my time and double/triple checked my work according to the given instructions.

After starting up the vehicle, the truck doesn't rev above 1500 RPM and it doesn't engage into any selected gear.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on a direction to go.

Junior Member New User

Will it rev above 1500 in park? or not in park either?
    If It runs and revs fine in park and neutral but not in reverse or forward gears then something internal is binding or backwards.
    If it will not rev in park or neutral then something is wrong with your pump.
    The transmission needs no electronics to move forward or back.

Junior Member New User

Traveler,

I was wondering if you could give me some more information concerning the overdrive pack. What is the order of the steels and frictions and is there a thicker steel ring that goes on the inside?

+ Reply to Thread