+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lead repair

Senior Member Sucked In AK Westphal's Avatar

Default lead repair

So took a lead paint class today at work and they were talking about some of the old body work that was done with lead. I've been wondering if anyone has thought about doing a roof repair using lead instead of bondo. I know much more difficult to work and time consuming, not to mention that it is getting really hard to find any one to do it, but they do make some new low and no lead materials to do this type of work. So has anyone tried or have an opinion on why it wouldn't work?

Junior Member New User

Default Re: lead repair

Yeah lead was pretty cool. I had thought about it, but I think with the roof ridges it would be difficult to shape and I don't think lead will flex like the fillers we use today will.
    Them old cards didn't flex much and placed where they used let like where the quarter panel meets the roof there wasn't much flex there so hard to say really how it would hold up.

I'm in my early 30's so hear a lot about lead repair, but don't know much on specifics. Figure there are a lot of people who might have a better idea. Flex was one of the things I was curious about, Shaping with the ridges was another, you'd have to be good to do it and make it look decent for sure, but would it flex or crack? that is what I am wondering.

Junior Member New User

My fear is it would not flex, it would just pop off the steel when the roof flexed, but I don't know.

h8GM! Serious

If and when the time comes to do mine I am going to use "ALL-METAL"

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/usc-...r-p-14787.aspx

On the rock crawlers it works way better than bondo because it stays bonded and can still flex. No mixing and its easier to apply in my opinion as well

Cheyenne, Wyoming, United States, 109588499067433, Cheyenne, Wyoming

I have done a fair amount of lead work. The low lead and no lead stuff is crap in my opinion, but I have old school opinions on lead. I've seen the new stuff work, and I've seen it not work.

Lead will flex. It was used in older car body joints, and would last 50 years. Shaping isnt hard, but if you screw up, you are starting over. Tinning and surface prep are very important, just like any other filler.

I personally love working with lead. It feels more like art than modern filler. I considered using lead to fix a centurion roof, but I don't have a roof to fix yet. Hopefully in a month I will.

The only thing to really consider is....Why? Modern fillers are good products, if used correctly, and prep is done right. Lead has a big learning curve, and can be frustrating to someone who hasnt done it before. If I was doing a 50's car, I'd use lead. On a 90's Centurion, I havent decided if I would do it or not.

Checked out the filler product posted. Nothing I've seen, course the clause at the bottom of the add might be why No shipping to Alaska:( That crap happens all the time.

upgrading... $5 at a time Sucked In
    Boise, Idaho, United States, 104084489628657, Boise, Idaho

Does the phrase "the last frontier" mean anything to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdale View Post
    Does the phrase "the last frontier" mean anything to you?

yeh, awesome country and plenty of it with few people and plenty of hunting, fishing, and camping but pain in the ass to order anything from the lower 48. My favorite is when they say shipping to the continental U.S. but when you call they don't ship to Alaska. "Continental" fricken check a map people we are on the same continent. Oh well, guess that is my only complaint. A traffic jam here consists of a moose, a motorhome, and three cars.

Senior Member Sucked In

Quote Originally Posted by AK Westphal View Post
    Checked out the filler product posted. Nothing I've seen, course the clause at the bottom of the add might be why No shipping to Alaska:( That crap happens all the time.
    If you need something that they pull that nonsense you can ship it to me and I'll forward it on to you, nothing like shipping to AK via FL.
    There are no rules in life. You have to think!

+ Reply to Thread