+ Reply to Thread

Thread: E4OD vs. 4R100 differences

Default E4OD vs. 4R100 differences

I have found a cheap 4R100 and as I read about building the E4OD it looks like it would be cheaper to build a 4R100. It already has upgraded internals to handle 1,000 ft/lbs in stock form.

Reading on the swap. Those with a manual tranny will need an auto pcm, but the any auto pcm will run the 4R100.
    The 4R100 has a couple extra sensors that you ignore and don't hook up.
    The 4R100 needs to have a cup put in the pump? Or an orifice filled? I can't find the exact details on that.
    You will need a TC for a 4R100
    And of course the 4R100 needs to be from a diesel engine as well.

Anyone have any other info?
    What about swapping a 2x4 to a 4x4? Do we still need to swap the tail shaft?
    Or will the 1356 bolt up to the 4R100?
    Those are things I haven't found out yet and whatever else you guys come up with .

USAF C-17 Avionics Sucked In adrianspeeder's Avatar

Default Re: E4OD vs. 4R100 differences

I'm pretty sure the E4OD torque rating is also 1000lbs after torque multiplication. Also want to say the NV transfer case has a different mount pattern than the 1356.

Adrianspeeder

Senior Member Sucked In heatmiser's Avatar

we did this on are fourdoor will check with my friend about this but I think all you have to do is change the bracket at the transmission remove the one off the E4OD and install on the 4R100 pcm worked the same
    1979 F350 Crewcab Longbed 4x4 (being retro-restored)
    1969 Z28/RS/SS Convertible (being retro-restored) Mine!!
    1996 C350 Centurion 4x4 (diesel)...The Wife's
    2005 F350 4x4...work truck
    2006 Lincoln LS...son's Daily Driver
    1976 Bronco...Toy (Finished...Yeah!!!!)
    2012 Ford Explorer wife's daily driver

'Deus, dona mihi serenitatem accipere res quae non possum mutare, fortitudinem mutare res quae possum, atque sapientiam differentiam cognoscere.'

Quote Originally Posted by adrianspeeder View Post
    I'm pretty sure the E4OD torque rating is also 1000lbs after torque multiplication. Also want to say the NV transfer case has a different mount pattern than the 1356.

Adrianspeeder
    I read that all the time but I can't find any info on the exact torque ratings. I read that the later models like '97 were 1,000 but not the mid '90's. Would love to know.

It also looks like many guys are upgrading their E4OD using 4R100 parts, better hard parts. If nothing else it might be cheaper to use the 4R100 guts in the E4OD case rather than buy each individual hub, clutch, and pinion.

Still reading some. It is sad, everyone is so afraid of transmissions. If it were an engine I was asking about that info is all over the place.

Senior Member Sucked In

the torque converter is the same for the 4r100 and the e4od.

They are essentially the same transmission and when it comes down to raw power and support the case on the e4OD is stronger, or so I've read.

There are a couple breaks in the torque ratings for the E4OD one is '95 when they came out with the PSD, and another in '97, the '97 has the same geartrain internally as the 4R100.

I found that the pieces and parts to upgrade the geartrain became far more affordably priced and cheaper than I could source a core transmission for when purchased as part of a "rebuild kit" I can say that I'm not overly gentle on my transmission and the more power thrown at it the better it holds, The complete geartrain upgrade & rebuild kit (seals, frictions etc) was around 1000 without the torque converter or the vb rebuild since I already had the transgo tugger kit which is a full valve body rebuild kit. From what I remember when I ran the numbers I spent around $4-500 for new hard parts to upgrade the geartrain over what I could have gotten just the rebuild soft parts for with good frictions & steels.

Keep in mind that some of the upgrades that are being done to the 4r100 is reverting back to the '97 E4OD parts because they are more durable.
    There are no rules in life. You have to think!

RedNeck In Montana Sucked In InfoFord's Avatar

ford has used the same output spline and Tcase bolt pattern since the 205 days

on the 4r100s I have seen for 2wd it looks like to me the jammed a huge seal in a 4wd transmission bolted a yoke on it and called it 2wd the Tcase flange was even there on the housing

the PCM has to be programmed different the E4OD has a OD lockout button the 4r100 has a Tow Button which changes the shift charastics of the transmission but allows OD to happen

I personally don't think the differences between the two justifies the swap however the 5r100 guts in to a E4OD is what I want to know

I would Call it the E5OD LOL I need s 460 pattern and a 5spd auto

Senior Member Sucked In heatmiser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I have found a cheap 4R100 and as I read about building the E4OD it looks like it would be cheaper to build a 4R100. It already has upgraded internals to handle 1,000 ft/lbs in stock form.

Reading on the swap. Those with a manual tranny will need an auto pcm, but the any auto pcm will run the 4R100.
    The 4R100 has a couple extra sensors that you ignore and don't hook up.
    The 4R100 needs to have a cup put in the pump? Or an orifice filled? I can't find the exact details on that.
    You will need a TC for a 4R100
    And of course the 4R100 needs to be from a diesel engine as well.

Anyone have any other info?
    What about swapping a 2x4 to a 4x4? Do we still need to swap the tail shaft?
    Or will the 1356 bolt up to the 4R100?
    Those are things I haven't found out yet and whatever else you guys come up with .
    Just talked to my friend who trains the the Ford technicians, here is what he says / #1 the E4OD PCM will work for 4R100 how ever the shift shaft and transmission range sensor has to be moved from from the E4OD to the 4R100 #2 yes it does have a couple of sensors on the 4R100 that don't get used in this case. #3 Don't know what they are talking about with the cup thing we didn't do that when we did this swap. #4 need to have a 4x4 adapter and output shaft from a 4R100 #5 the torque rating on the early E4OD was around 850 lb ft, then went to 900 lb ft, the 4R100 is rated at 1000 lb ft for the Diesels #6 both transmission use torque converter cancel switches, the torque shift (5R115 for the 6.0 power stroke) use's a tow / haul switch. Hope this helps, Chuck
    1979 F350 Crewcab Longbed 4x4 (being retro-restored)
    1969 Z28/RS/SS Convertible (being retro-restored) Mine!!
    1996 C350 Centurion 4x4 (diesel)...The Wife's
    2005 F350 4x4...work truck
    2006 Lincoln LS...son's Daily Driver
    1976 Bronco...Toy (Finished...Yeah!!!!)
    2012 Ford Explorer wife's daily driver

'Deus, dona mihi serenitatem accipere res quae non possum mutare, fortitudinem mutare res quae possum, atque sapientiam differentiam cognoscere.'

USAF C-17 Avionics Sucked In adrianspeeder's Avatar

Torqshift model is 5R110.

Adrianspeeder

Kind of on the same subject.

Looking at E4OD rebuild parts.

What changed between '95 and '96?
    There seems to be a break in that model year on most of the kits.

We are building an E4OD from a '91. Aware of most of the updates but stuck on this model year change.

Senior Member Sucked In sheepman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Kind of on the same subject.

Looking at E4OD rebuild parts.

What changed between '95 and '96?
    There seems to be a break in that model year on most of the kits.

We are building an E4OD from a '91. Aware of most of the updates but stuck on this model year change.
    Have you look at racerx for parts. They have helped me with everything I've needed so far with redoing my trans setup.

From what I understand is the early e4od have aluminum hard part and post 96 is steal.

There are some internal changes. I think it has something to do with the valve body?
    I read a couple different places where the valve body gaskets will have a green dot, or green stripe on them '96 and later, but still doesn't tell me what the differences are.

Yep dealt with Racerx before. Seems to be a pretty good guy. I have a tranny shop here that will give me one piece at a time as I go or Ebay also has most of the internals one piece at a time. So if I find something bad or something I want to update at least we have plenty of sources for once.
    Not like it used to be. If you needed hard parts you were screwed. Nobody would help you. You had to buy another tranny to get them.

Senior Member Sucked In

there are some significant internal upgrades that came in the '96 model year that gave some extra friction surfaces upgraded sun gears, different valve body. Racerx offers a kit with all of the upgraded hard parts in it, I chose this option when I rebuilt my trans.

I can double check when I get home and give you the information on the upgrades that were available and see which ones apply to the '95 '96 break. ATSG has an upgrade manual which will show all of the upgrades available from the factory including the applicable portions from the 4r100. There are some "upgrades" that are not actually upgrades for reliability and wear point of view but are simply changes from the factory and in some cases were an inferior design. IIRC the reverse piston is a prime example of this and is a failure point in the 4r100 and the "upgrade" is to go to the older model pieces where you only need to replace some lip-seals
    There are no rules in life. You have to think!

upgrading... $5 at a time Sucked In Clydesdale's Avatar
    Boise, Idaho, United States, 104084489628657, Boise, Idaho

I saw 5r110 mentioned, there is one here from behind a 6.leaker for $650.. do a boise craigs search, its in Auto Parts, I was looking for diesel stuff, and 8x170 rims when I found it.

Just in case others are as lazy as I am, barely click links, never search for something, ever.. here ya go...

boise craigslist > for sale / wanted > auto parts
    please flag with care:

miscategorized
    prohibited
    spam/overpost
    best of craigslist
    Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
    Ford 6.0 Automatic 5 speed Transmission 4x4 5r110 - $650 (Star ID)
    Date: 2010-02-28, 5:41PM MST
    Reply to: sale-r9aka-1622386516@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

2003 Ford Diesel Excursion automatic 4x4 5 speed transmission. Working well, with 110,000 miles, came out of a rolled vehicle. I needed a 7.3 diesel automatic tranny, but thought a 6.0 diesel automatic tranny would work. I was wrong- and now i have a nice transmission that i don't need. Does not include converter. PRICE REDUCED--- was 850, then 750, now 650.

Call 463-1252 or email.

Thanks, Jenna

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1622386516

+ Reply to Thread