+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High Idle for powerstrokes

Junior Member New User

Default High Idle for powerstrokes

We have built idle controllers for our powerstroke diesels. Both 1995. It is a pretty simple setup, parts can be bought at Radio shack for less than $15.

The spin we put on it that is a little different than others is a brake interlock. Anytime you step on the brake pedal, it shuts off the idle controller. That is a safety in case you forget to turn it off.

It is adjustable. Simply turn the potentionmeter with a tiny screw driver to reach the desired idle. We typically run it up a little higher in the winter to help build and keep heat. In the summer not as high because we are just running the AC.

The potentiometer we are using is a 15 turn, 1K pot. It allows sensative adjustement.

The assembly is somewhat temperature sensative though. You can purchase more stable parts for more money. If the assembly is mounted too close to the heat duct it will change the RPM's by a couple hundered as the truck warms up if that bothers you.

First pics, the parts.
    1 -sinple pole double through relay. 12v
    1 -double pole, double throw relay. 12v
    1 -15 turn 1K ohm potentionmeter
    1- 1K ohm resistor.
    1 - on/off switch. (not shown)

The operating range is between 1,000 and 2,000 ohms, but I think you only use around 1,100-1,500 ohms

Junior Member New User

Default Re: High Idle for powerstrokes

In the previous pic you can see how I stacked the units, this is the layout I want, so I am going to use JB weld and attach the relays together.

The larger relay is for the idle controller, the smaller one is for the brake interlock.
    Rather than using a second relay for the brake interlock some guys hook the ground wire for the relay to the E-brake switch, that way the idle controller only works with the E-brake on.
    There are various options like this, just use your imagination.

You can see where it will be handy to carry a small screw driver in the driver's door pocket until you get it adjusted properly.

Junior Member New User

Obviously I already had an idea of what the wiring is going to be like, but it is time to actually sitdown and make a schematic so It will be easier to wire in, troubleshoot, and repair later.

After the rough drawing, then I solder up the connections I can.

Junior Member New User

As I soldered my connections, and chose wire colors and numbers I added the color to my schematic. It is indicated by the rectangular box around the wire color.

The last step was to put JBweld around the weaker connections. Between handling, and vibration I am afraid some to the smaller ones will break off.
    tied the wires up and it is ready to install.

Senior Member Sucked In

Sweet! I just installed a TW 4pos chip and the high idle feature is incredibly nice, nice cheap fix! for it, the high idle is priceless!

1995 5speed PSD Sucked In bob_95_psd's Avatar

Very nice setup. But I'm wondering what you need the fast idle for. Are you running something off a PTO?

Junior Member New User

Kicking the idle up just a couple hundred rpm's helps them burn up all the fuel, less cylinder wash down, or oil contamination.
    It builds more heat which also helps completely burn the fuel and keep the cab warm.
    The charging system works better.
    The AC cools better.
    There is more oil pressure to pass around the system.

Letting a truck idle isn't necessarily the greatest thing, but bumping the idle just even a couple hundred rpm's eliminates the damage you are doing.

I take naps at rest areas, I like heat and AC. I don't want to destroy the engine doing it. Even if you are jump starting another vehicle it is a handy option.

Senior Member Sucked In

Quote Originally Posted by bob_95_psd View Post
    Very nice setup. But I'm wondering what you need the fast idle for. Are you running something off a PTO?
    Yep what Traveler said...it's super nice once you do it, vehicle warms up MUCH quicker, helps eliminate all the coking, etc, etc. It's nice, and i've only had it for a week

1995 5speed PSD Sucked In bob_95_psd's Avatar

Very Cool, Thanks for the advice. I still have lots to learn about these diesels.

Waitin on that 5spd Jeff! Sucked In Kasprzak85's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob_95_psd View Post
    Very Cool, Thanks for the advice. I still have lots to learn about these diesels.
    You have the holy grail of trucks...you dont need to know anything about it just pass it my way. This helps to if you have a unbalanced flywheel and it likes to chater at low rpms.
    Jon K
    2003 F250 CC LB 4x4 stock
    "sold"94 SC LB PSD 4x4 ZF5, 357,000 miles (org. motor) 3in DP into 3in straight pipe, 4 pos Bully Dog chip, egt gauge, intake, levelin kit ....................
    4doorbronko's drop back bumper and front
    bumper
    2003 SLK32 AMG its the devil...
    70 Bronco sold to brother (miss it every day)
    83 Bronco sold

Junior Member New User

We mounted the relays in place tonight and wired in everything but the power and ground.
    Don't have the on/off switch mounted yet.

See the blue thing sticking out behind the key/lights on alarm. Then the harness looks like it is coming out the top.

I solder instead of just taping, or butt splices. First the IVS, idle validation switch.

Tapped and tied up

Hey Eric wanna make me one? Not the best Solder...
    Jon K
    "sold"94 SC LB PSD 4x4 ZF5, 357,000 miles (org. motor) 3in DP into 3in straight pipe, 4 pos Bully Dog chip, egt gauge, intake, levelin kit ....................
    bumper
    83 Bronco sold

Junior Member New User

Sure can.
    Are you comfortable hooking it up?

Yeah I can tap wires... Let me know the paypal account and shipping to 84094 Ill pm ya the adddress...
    Jon K
    bumper
    83 Bronco sold

All I can say... Erik (Traveler) is one stand up guy... When we say we are a family we deff are. I asked Erik if he could make me one and it showed up today... But wait Erik never gave me a paypal account or anything to pay him And he wont respond to pms. Hes a punk and a stand up guy but what he doesnt know is I have his address now and his wifes number... Audra text me back . Thanks Erik I will have it put in sometime this week and see if it does what I want it to do.
    Jon K
    bumper
    83 Bronco sold

Junior Member New User

I know this is an ancient thread but Traveler can you post a clearer drawing of the wiring diagram!

Junior Member Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by ranger553x View Post
    I know this is an ancient thread but Traveler can you post a clearer drawing of the wiring diagram!
    I doubt he's active here anymore. Lucky the link is still active. Try to download and zoom it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

+ Reply to Thread