PDA

View Full Version : 91 to 96 front clip swap

lostSloth
09-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Here's my donor for my clip swap. 1996 F-150 with inline 6 and 5 speed trans.

Planning on swapping the doors also so I can add power mirrors to my set up. Will have a lil contrast in the interior since these are tan and mine is blue.
That dent is the only one i'll have to remove.
Plan on painting the components flat black when they are removed and then installing them on the 4 door.

still haven't decided on what to do with the F-150 after the swap. the motor and trans are good. might throw my front clip on and sell. but it currently don't have a title so I might just part it out the rest of the way.

sheepman
09-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Do you plan on using the new door panels too? I perceive from your post that you are. You could extend the power mirror wiring and put a square hole in your current blue door panel. Just my 2.

1985 Bronco
09-09-2016, 02:44 PM
You are going to have to make custom bumper mounts, the frame horns changed in 92, they added a crumple zone to the front.

heatmiser
09-09-2016, 10:59 PM
I had an 88' that I put a 96' front clip on and the dash, on the bumper I install a winch bumper for the 88'. Never got around to installing the doors for the power windows cause I found the 96' I have now. I still have the OEM blue door panels for it

lostSloth
09-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Sheepman - yeah, I was planning on using the tan 96 panels due to the switch for the power mirrors. Are you referring to the square how as a place to put the power mirror switch? That I didn't think about, and just might could work.

1985 - Thanks for the info about the bumper mounts. I was debating on going with a heavy duty bumper, would it have to be a 92-96 or you think I could get a 91 to work?

Heatmiser - how difficult was the dash install? I would love to swap to the 96. I don't like the climate controls being above the radio (petty, I know. Lol).
I would be interested in those panels, I wouldn't be able to get then immediately tho :/

heatmiser
09-11-2016, 11:11 AM
The dash wasn't that bad, having the doner truck helps I had to get mine from different trucks.We needed to make a couple of brackets for the dash. That truck went to redrock on here when he moved to ID and then he sold it to a guy I think that was in FL. I'm not in a hurry to get ride of the door panels there are just taking up space on the shelve, I can't use them cause the interior on my truck is gray and I,d need to paint them but you never know.

lostSloth
09-12-2016, 06:42 AM
that's good to hear bout the dash. I'm def considering it.
I was curious about changing the colors of the panels but I aint know if that was possible to dye them. I didn't think about painting.

sheepman
09-12-2016, 08:21 AM
Yes I the power switch. Somehow I forgot that important little bit of info. :dance001:

1985 Bronco
09-12-2016, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure about a heavy duty bumper. I don't think it will be too had to make bumper mounts though. I am actually doing the opposite of you, I have a 95, and converting to an older clip, so I will need to trim the front frame horns, and weld new plates on the front that matches the bumper contours.

heatmiser
09-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Their is special paint for the plastic and even OEM used it. One of the panels was red on the back side when I opened the box from Ford

lostSloth
09-15-2016, 06:58 AM
I did a lil research. LMR.com does color matching for mustangs. I emailed them to see if they knew if Ford used the same colors for the same models in their trucks. I would imagine that they did, but they said they could not guarantee. if it wasn't the same I'd figure it be pretty damn close.
Dupli-color also has some aerosol spray paint/dye for interiors.
I'm def considering testing one of them out. maybe try to convert my interior to a shade of gray. But then my seats would be off :BangHead: guess I could get new seats :twotu: thining bout converting the mid row to buckets anyhow

1985 Bronco
09-15-2016, 04:09 PM
thinking about converting the mid row to buckets anyhow

I plan on doing that too, please post on here if you decide to go that route. I am interested in how you are going to mount them. :popc1: