PDA

View Full Version : Finest Centurion in all the land

Travzam
05-27-2015, 02:57 PM
So after buying this rig sight unseen on Ebay out of Cali I had it shipped back to Iowa where my father took care of it till I separated from the Navy. Unfortunately every claim the previous owner maid about the engine condition of the vehicle proved false. Him and his father had attempted to craft a power house diesel engine but as is the case with most people who consider them selves mechanics...they were not. Everything was just a little off so everything had to be addressed.

So off to Black Magic Diesel performance in Cedar rapids Iowa. Here my truck received a complete engine rebuild. I am not a mechanic so I may add another post with the details later. I also had the steering column rebuilt and replaced the tie rods and u joints in the front. The day after the truck came out of the shop I had to drive to Chicago in the years first blizzard to pick up my dog arriving from Hawaii. Took me 7 hours to make the 3 hour trip home but the engine and 4x4 worked flawlessly.

B&B Fabrications of Cedar Falls Iowa handled the bumper build at a very reasonable price, although I had to weather proof it myself to offset some savings. Over the past several weeks I added several cosmetic changes using Monstaliner, the stuff works great, sprays on easy, looks professional and cost a 3rd of what Linex charges although you will be doing the labor. I also have a soft top which I will install next weekend. I think I might have the nicest one in the country and I am very proud of it.

I've seen some others that are quite nice but not diesels which in todays economy I believe gives me a slight edge over the competition. I am stopped all the time and asked about the truck, people take picture while they drive down the highway, and I have my first auto show in Manassas VA this weekend.

My only suggestion to anyone looking to purchase is allow at least 10 grand in play money because realistically you will have to do some extensive work to make the vehicle a daily driver regardless of how sweet the write up is on craigslist.

Travzam
05-27-2015, 02:58 PM

natterre
05-27-2015, 05:08 PM
That is a real nice truck. And you are correct about the extra $10k. I am in the middle of the second truck payment too, but can't wait to finish with the final product.

Travzam
05-27-2015, 05:18 PM
And 10gs is a conservative estimate

68Mercury250Ranger
05-27-2015, 11:01 PM
very sharp, but I think you need more tow hooks :wavey:

any engine pics yet?

Travzam
05-28-2015, 07:19 AM
I can get some up by this weekend. I call that tow hook set up my tiger claw! It has a custom built 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel built by black magic performance.
ATA Aurora 5000 Turbo
250cc Injectors
Ceramic coated combustion chambers and pistons
Custom fuel system with propane injection (The previous owner did this but I will NEVER use it. Very stupid way to destroy your trucks engine)
New high pressure oil pumps
Torque converter

Custom Transmission from ATS Diesel
Rear axle has a 4:10 ring and pinion with a Detroit locking differential, ladder bars and load leveling air bags
Brakes are drilled and slotted on the front axle

50 Gallon fuel tank

Audio has two Alpine PDX 4.150 amps powering 3 sets of alpine component speakers in all doors and rear passenger area, and a 1,100 amp that powers a crossfire 15" subwoofer.

Cbrandhorst64
05-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Hey there, Im the other side of B&B. I picked up a 96 from nathen. Have to see it once I get done with it!

Travzam
05-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Ya Jordan said you got the fever after you worked on mine. I didn't know they existed until a about a year b4 I got mine. Checked EBAY and this sight every day for a year until this one popped. Interested in seeing what you do with yours.

Cbrandhorst64
05-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Currently just repairs and small things, replacing interior pieces that were broken dash pad etc. New exhaust, balljoints blah blah. Eventually it will get repainted, new window seals, etc. Jordan is supposed to be building bumpers (if they meet my approval) Needs some tlc, engine love, etc. However, overall still a steal for the price in my opinion. I love driving it