PDA

View Full Version : 1996 PSD Blowby

natterre
03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
I have a 1996 C-350 with the 7.3 engine and when the engine is warm and running there is plenty of smoke coming out of the dipstick tube. In fact when the dipstick has been removed, the tube looks like a chimney. It is considerable. When driving the vehicle and an incline is encountered, the transmission needs to down shift to maintain speed. After an inspection of the turbo, the compressor blades seem to have some wear on the outer edges. All of these symptoms scream Blow-by. I am currently contemplating pulling the engine and taking it apart and rebuilding it. I would do all of the work myself, with the exception of the machining on cylinder walls (if required). I have never attempted to try this with a diesel or power stroke engine, and others have cautioned me that I may be biting off more than I can chew.

I thought I would start a thread here and post photos as I go along. I work for an electric utility and we are getting ready for a shutdown and overhaul on one of our units, so my time off is very limited for the next month or so, but nevertheless I think I am going to start. If anyone has any experience or advice feel free. I may just ignore it, but I would love to hear others experiences and comments.

C_Luft
03-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Try a couple bottles of rev-x in your next oil change, before you decide to take apart the engine, that stuff removes the carbon deposits and gunk off the rings that causes blow-by.

Traveler
03-09-2015, 07:50 AM
What oil are you running and how old is it?

My first thing would be an oil change and go back to some good mineral oil, non synthetic. 15w-40

natterre
03-09-2015, 08:13 AM
I change the oil every 4,000-5,000 miles. I use Delo 400 15w-40 (non-synthetic).

sheepman
03-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Is the truck consuming oil? Say to the tune of 1 or 2 quarts very oil change? PSD's use small amounts of oil.

Check to make sure the crank case breather is not clogged. Its located on the drivers side valve cover at the back of the motor. It has a rubber tube that feeds into the bottom of the post air filter intake tube.

How many miles on the truck? Before a tear down a compression test and or a leak down test should be preformed.

Polarburg
03-15-2015, 08:55 AM
How many miles ? If less then 400k I would doubt it needs a rebuild. Check breather like said and I would re o-ring injectors first

sheepman
03-16-2015, 02:00 AM
If you have bad injector o rings it will use oil. The fuel filter will be black with oil, replace the filter and if its black again in a short time your injectors o rings may need replacement.

natterre
03-16-2015, 08:06 AM
That is a good idea. The engine only has 218,000 miles on it.

sheepman
03-16-2015, 08:13 AM
218,000 it may need injector work too. Good thing the injectors can be repaired at a low cost low paired to new or remains.

For injectors http://www.rosewooddieselshop.com

Injector o ring and the like
http://www.dieselorings.com