PDA

View Full Version : The White Beast

armyfox26
09-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Figured I would do a thread dedicated to what I do to my bronco. I am always messing with something. This past weekend I fixed both my front power windows: one was a loose wire and the passenger side was a simple window motor swap. Also, fixed both my transmission lines by removing them, cleaning the fittings, and putting some sealant where they insert on the passenger side of the E4OD.

Current things I am looking at:

Lund visor-lighted or not? How hard is it to wire up the lights? Do I have to remove headliner to do it?

Stereo/speakers- Replacing all stock speakers and the Walmart CD player in it (MUCH Needed lol) Any suggestions for a good site or speakers to get?

Shock bushings in front- Two of my quad shocks in the front are loose (rear ones) where the bolt runs through the bushing on the bottom (All brand new from broncograveyard). Fix? New bushings/spacer?

Transfer Case- It is still barely leaking. I already verified the bolts being tight. I have my original that came off my bronco. Thinking of buying a seal/gasket kit or bearing/seal/gasket kit. Suggestions?

Roof repair- A simple solution...pay someone $1500 lol. Now I just need to get the money.

Tailgate- The rust on the tailgate is not salvageable. At least I think? Just need to find a good used one or buy a shell. I assume a used one is my best option for like 150$?

Front and back bumpers- This is far in the furture. One I am getting in march for my birthday. I am going to remove the spare tire assembly it currently has and replace that with a back bumper with a swing out tire arm. Opinion? Also, the front bumper will be swapped out with the prerunner bumper from broncograveyard. I keep looking for front bumpers but so far only that one and the old warn enforcer bumper I like. Any awesome bumpers someone comes across let me know!!! please

I finally have my finances in order. So now is the time I can put 1-2 hundred a month towards the bronco without the wife completely complaining lol.

armyfox26
09-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Here are some Pics

natterre
09-11-2014, 07:45 AM
That is quite a list of changes. I would like to know why are you planning on removing the spare tire from its carrier? My tire is inside, and I would like to put it on the back in a typical "bronco" setup. I have aquired the external tire carrier, but I don't know the reinforcement that is required to mount the carrier onto the rear quarter panel. What motor are you planning to put in it?

armyfox26
09-11-2014, 07:46 AM
More....1496214963149641496514966

armyfox26
09-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Natterre, maybe I worded it wrong...but, no motor swap for now. I am keeping the 351w in there. The motor reference was towards the window motor in the front passenger side. :)

Traveler
09-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Using a patch panel on that tailgate actually works pretty well. The chrome trim panel covers up most of the seam.
Worst part is you usually need to repair, weld some metal on the window regulator bracket right behind that center rust spot.

Lighted visor is easy. You can drill the A pillar to run the wires through, or just tuck them under the weather stripping in the driver's door. Run the wires down to the fuse panel and tap right into the marker light fuse.

armyfox26
09-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Stopped by my local small business autobody shop about 2 miles from my house. He did a rough qoute on the high side to repair my roof, do tailgate (he has a rust free one for $150 he will sell me), and fix my rear quarter panel wheel well for $1500-1750. I was planning on a much higher qoute...like $2000-2500. I think this is a great deal. Hoping to have the money/get it done before the end of the year. Searching hard for lund visor! Hopefully one with lights!!! (Not too expensive..have time right now)

armyfox26
09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Well...did a little researching and found a wonderful article about putting an explorer overhead console into broncos. I love the idea of having a temperate/compass display, better dome lights, and a space to put something in. I went ahead and bought a complete overhead console (grey), plus bracket, and outside temp sensor off ebay for $28 (plus $10 shipping).

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1083978-installed-explorer-overhead-console.html

Also, found a great article on fitting an expedition console into our wonderful broncos as well. Trying to decide to pull the trigger on a 2003 grey console I found.

Added Pictures of what the expedition console can look like. Can't wait to get one!!!

SFC11B4
09-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Nice research.

armyfox26
09-28-2014, 02:25 PM
This is my latest mod to the bronco! I added a device to get my mpg to 30! It even is detachable and drives on its own lol. Happy to have a manual again! It's just a little 4 cylinder...but I like it

armyfox26
09-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Alright have a new issue. I have a tapping sound from the passenger side of my engine. My neighbor says it sounds like an exhaust leak coming from the factory manifold. My question is could a manifold cause tapping to resonate all the way up to the fuel rails even? I can feel a tapping in both fuel rails. I can hear the sound the best from the passenger side inner wheel skirt area (exact location of the manifold of course). I can definitely say that the sound gets louder when the vehicle is placed into gear and the gas is pressed. If I am cruising down the road the sound is not magnified until I press the gas. Could someone help clarify my situation! If it is the manifold...I could be looking at new headers since I am already going to have the exhaust and manifold off!!! :signs038:

Traveler
09-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Look for black around the manifold bolts, look for a crack too. It was not uncommon to have a manifold crack.
I hope that is what it is vs, a bad valve, lifter, that type of thing.

kto17
09-30-2014, 08:31 PM
You can also have someone hold the brake and give it a little gas while you check it out. Just be very careful. I could feel hot gases coming out at my manifold leak.

armyfox26
10-01-2014, 07:23 AM
One of the bolts was loose. I checked injectors, rockers, etc. and it was the simplest thing. I still have a sound, but it is simply the gasket more than likely. Thank you both! Going to save for headers and exhaust so I can permanately fix my issue. Is there any headers someone recommends? Most are between 150-300$ for the 351w. Has anyone got their exhaust done on one of these? Dual exhaust? I will definitely not have straight pipes anymore. Thinking pointed out just behind tires. I hate not being able to drive with back window down!!!!!!

kto17
10-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Read up the Full Size Bronco site about the "home made Y pipe" and the Stainless 3" magnaflow universal pipe. It's about $60 shipped on Amazon and fits perfect from the muffler back. Check my exhaust build thread on here, I used the 3" stainless pipe on mine and list the part number.

Those guys swear by the y pipe adding low end torque and better mpgs. After doing the Doug Thorley headers (which replaces the y pipe also) on my C350 I believe it could make a big difference. I don't know if Thorley makes them for the 351 but they are not cheap, around $800 for the 460, but they are ceramic coated and replace the y pipe so it's a quality 2 for 1 in my opinion.

armyfox26
07-20-2015, 12:39 AM
Just a quick update. The big boy helped me move to Missouri now. It surprisingly made the 900 mile trip flawlessly! However yesterday out of no where the truck decided to stay at a minimum of 2500 rpm (even at idle). After searching I checked for vacuum leaks, all ground locations checked, and even swapped my iac motor a couple times with a few I picked up at the junk yard. I finally fixed it today. It turned out to be my throttle position sensor.

Bronco Biff
07-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Well, I guess we never got the mini m&g done! Just did a new IAC on mine after sometimes going to idle would cut off or run rich. Fixed it!!

armyfox26
05-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Quick update. Finally got the tailgate fixed. Decided to upgrade the AC while I was at it for summer. I will get around to putting centurion logo back On the bottom right. I opted against tire carrier bc I am going to go aftermarket bumper with a tire carrier with it.

AK Westphal
05-01-2016, 11:57 PM
Looks good. I'm surprised how many rust out there. Mine was completely spotless when I opened it up, I hosed it all out and made sure there was no debris blocking the drains, made that part of the biannual maintenance along with greasing the window track. Worked trouble free after that.

Bronco Biff
05-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Nice job!! New tailgate or repair?

armyfox26
05-03-2016, 04:59 AM
Did a new shell. I bought another used tailgate for 150 and had the shop swap all internals over. I did but a new motor since it was already open. Unfortunately both the new and old key switch on the tailgate gave stopped working. They barely move the window half way then stop. I have it bypass the switch now. So just the dash switch moves the window.

armyfox26
05-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Just replaced my rear shocks. Every time I went over a bump the rear end made a bad sound. Turns out my rear passenger shock blew. Anyways decided to test them out on a 4 mile off road trip. They work great (skyjacker monotubes). Hope you guys like the pictures. I am going to try to take videos of the mud pits next time. Almost got stuck twice!

Bronco Biff
05-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Good clean fun there!!

armyfox26
10-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Decided to swap my heater core out after work today. It took about an hour. Hopefully this fixes my not so good heat. I already had it flushed last year but that never made it good at all. Since I am keeping the bronco and I got a significantly better job...I plan to save and get my engine/ehaust done before summer next year. I will just stick with a 351, but I need to do a lot of shopping. I was quoted 2500$ I believe for a remanufactured one from my local shop and that comes with a 3 year warranty. I really wanted a little more grunt from my current engine so stock sounds blah to me. If any of you have a website suggestion let me know. Thanks

armyfox26
10-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Quick update...heat works amazing due to the heater core swap. I also decided to finally upgrade my speakers and head unit (kenwood and kicker). I hate my giant 15" sub&box in the back. I need to find a solution for bass that doesn't take up so much room.

1985 Bronco
10-15-2016, 12:07 AM
Check out post #193

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/57-78-96-build-forum-builds-only/197691-another-7-3-powerstroke-bronco-build-10.html

armyfox26
05-08-2017, 12:19 AM
Quick update with pictures to come in the next few weeks. I finally pulled the trigger on an engine. It should come next week. I also purchased new headers, valve covers, and muffler. I will of course get new exhaust put in (currently it has the two cats and then straight pipe on back). I can't wait to get it routed differently so i can enjoy rolling the back window down and not die from fumes.
Started searching for seats. I am going to put a split bench with folding console up front and buckets for my second row. One day I will configure a sub box/console in between the buckets. Anyways... glad the website is back up!

obspsd
05-10-2017, 09:29 PM
I thought maybe you sold your Bronco. I found it on craigslist a few weeks ago. Anyway, i am glad the website is working again too.

I got another quote on my roof repair. $3,000 to fix the roof and tailgate. Planning on getting it done pretty soon. Have to fix the oil leak soon to, it leaks 2 quarts in 150 miles:grinning:

armyfox26
05-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Girlfriend thought it would be funny to post my bronco for sale. I was wondering why i was getting contacted about it for a few days. Anyways got a few parts and the engine should be here in the next day or two. Next week will be hopefully issue free getting it all together.

obspsd
05-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Girlfriend thought it would be funny to post my bronco for sale. I was wondering why i was getting contacted about it for a few days. Anyways got a few parts and the engine should be here in the next day or two. Next week will be hopefully issue free getting it all together.

Did the girlfriend get a talking to? I wouldn't think it was very funny. I posted the craigslist add in the for sale area thinking you were selling it after all. Glad to here you are keeping it.

Hope all goes well with the engine build.

armyfox26
10-08-2017, 02:16 AM
Finally got the new engine in the bronco (yes pictures soon). Monday it gets a new exhaust. I am having second thoughts about have a 1 in 2 out muffler system. I am wondering if I am going to regret not doing a dual exhaust now rather then later. I know the forums say its a little more difficult to run a dual exhaust but my body lift should ease the pain of routing for it. Happy if anyone can share their opinion. I would think the 3" single in 2 out would be fine. My setup will never be crazy powerful.

Klippel
12-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Finally got the new engine in the bronco (yes pictures soon). Monday it gets a new exhaust. I am having second thoughts about have a 1 in 2 out muffler system. I am wondering if I am going to regret not doing a dual exhaust now rather then later. I know the forums say its a little more difficult to run a dual exhaust but my body lift should ease the pain of routing for it. Happy if anyone can share their opinion. I would think the 3" single in 2 out would be fine. My setup will never be crazy powerful.

I really like what you're doing to the car, Armyfox. That's an impressive list of modifications. Any updates on the new engine pics?

armyfox26
12-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Appreciate it. I will take pictures when I get home (been real busy). I just got the bronco back from the 500mile check up after the engine change and it went great. I thought I explained myself to the shop about what I wanted with my exhaust but they screwed it up. I have been talking to the exhaust shop directly now and they are suppose to call me with a quote on what I really want.

Marinephinfan
12-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Any updates?

armyfox26
02-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Finally got my exhaust done. The new headers, magnaflow y-pipe (2.5 inch into a 3 inch), 3 inch pipe to flowmaster muffler (1 in 2 out), then it side exits behind the tires. I took pictures and I will try to get them posted soon. I am just happy it sounds like it has balls and I can drive with the back glass down and not be fumed out. I am in the progress of doing an alternator upgrade to a 3G. Hopefully I can have that done in a week or less.

4dyz
04-24-2018, 01:37 AM
Nice work. excited to see how this build would turn out

armyfox26
05-02-2018, 11:19 PM
Just an update. Got the alternator done. Also changed rear dif fluid and just ordered a set of new tires. I am taking the top off this week for the first time since I've had it (5 years i think). I need a good seal kit to replace the old. Any suggestions of a website? Also the third row has shoulder seatbelts. I was going to buy lap belts so people can ride in the back and still be safe with the top off. Is that what others have done?

Anyone else have issues with trying to load pictures? I reduce there size to the requirements but still a no go. I have lots of pictures I could post. Any help would be appreciated thank you!

predator
05-07-2018, 11:47 PM
I just sat here and cried over how little rust you have. Since I have to lift my body up anyway, I am thinking a body lift heehee. Yours is 3inch? I may go less, but it would be nice to have room to pull off the turbo. Did you do the lift?

armyfox26
05-09-2018, 05:50 AM
Thanks about the rust. I am talking to a friend about having his friend do my quarter wheel lips. That's where the last rust issues I have are. Pretty sure it's a 3 inch body lift. I can go out and measure and take pictures of certain clearances for you if needed. I will say it came in handy when I swapped out my transmission. The extra clearance help out loads. Just let me know.

Could anyone help me out with the pictures not working for me? Please and thank you

obspsd
05-11-2018, 10:48 AM
When I post pictures from craigslist I right click on the picture, hit copy image address, then click on the insert image on fourdoorbronco (right above where you type). This only works for me on picture on cragslist, ebay, etc

armyfox26
06-06-2018, 11:41 PM

Trying to get pictures to load for me. These are my new tires I got about a week ago. Picked up a set of 15x8 stock rims that I'm going to put them on.

These are pictures of an alternator I had made at a shop. My alternator apparently got hurt when the engine swap happened. It was out-of-round and causing my belt to squeak a little.

I will take pictures of the new engine and exhaust. Hopefully I can figure the pictures out like I just did. Trying to buy 3 rows of newer seats for the bronco as well. The third row has built in seat belts!

obspsd
06-07-2018, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the update! The stock wheels with bigger tires almost always looks the best.

armyfox26
06-20-2018, 11:10 PM
Got the powder coated rims with new tires on. I forgot to have the center pieces coated too. Not sure what I'm going to do there. Waiting for black lug nuts to come in the mail. Sunday I am meeting up with a guy in St. louis to pick up a mint bronco black hard top for 150$. I think I'm wanting to swap my white top for the black. I will take a picture when the wheels are completed and I grab the hard top.

armyfox26
06-28-2018, 03:47 PM

Got my wheels done and put on. I still need to acquire the screwsfour the center caps. I also grabbed a black hard top for the bronco. I will put it on after I heal up from surgery. Still trying to find a set of dark grey or black seats.

obspsd
07-04-2018, 09:13 AM
I was wondering why your fender flares are like cut back at the bottom. Are they cut and why?

armyfox26
07-05-2018, 09:19 AM
That's how I recieved the vehicle. Yes they are slanted in.
Bad part is the new wheels/tires make the rear fender flares stick out bad. I considered looking into wheel spacers to make them stick out, but I never messed with them. If I don't do spacers I will end up removing the flares. Anyone suggestions on wheel spacers?

obspsd
07-05-2018, 03:17 PM
That's how I recieved the vehicle. Yes they are slanted in.
Bad part is the new wheels/tires make the rear fender flares stick out bad. I considered looking into wheel spacers to make them stick out, but I never messed with them. If I don't do spacers I will end up removing the flares. Anyone suggestions on wheel spacers?

If you want wheel spacers this is were I would get them. Make sure you get hub centric wheel spacers. You can get Alcoa Aluminum or steel ones.

http://motorsport-tech.com/special/truck/ford_s

armyfox26
07-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Sucked it up and bought a skyler soft top for my bronco. Should be here in a week or two. I will end up selling my white top for cheap and probably keep my black hard top for back up. After I get the soft top...going to take it to an upholstery shop and see how much it would cost to duplicate it since it's pretty old. Plus instead of velcro on the tailgate...I was thinking of incorporating pockets for magnets to be placed inside the cover. Decent idea? Instead of putting a velcro strip on my tailgate.