PDA

View Full Version : Off Roading=Dented Driveshaft

armyfox26
06-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Over the holiday break around the 23 of May took the family and went camping with friends. We happened across an interesting trail and I felt brave with my wonderful beast...like I am sure we all do. Went through most of the trails and between trees then finally found a hidden hole that even my 6" lift and 36" couldn't prevent damage on. The truck made it out beauitifully...but felt a wobble in the drivetrain. Made it back home just fine after the trip. I dropped off the bronco to the shop Saturday morning and they confirmed what I thought...it was the driveshaft. Here comes the interesting part. We begin talking about the driveshaft and he said my current one is compleletly aftermarket. They searched around for a used one and could not find one that would work at all. Also, I have always noticed that my splines on the rear of the driveshaft where it fits into the slip yoke showed more than what I thought they should (I am thinking several inches...like 5). After talking, the driveshaft is now at the machinist shop getting repaired. Depending on the condition and what they suggest it might even get lengthened about 2". I am getting the estimate today. So wish me luck. I am dieing without my gas hog! :down:

Traveler
06-05-2014, 08:17 AM
The drives hafts are pretty short, I can imagine with your lift that did pull it out some more.
I was thinking mine had a sticker from a shop in Las Vegas on it. Anyway, Yes all of the C350 and C150 stretched broncos are custom drive shafts

Sounds like a fun trip.

armyfox26
06-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Alright have the estimate of 1200$ total for everything. They are making it from scratch. I even talked to the machine shop that it was sent to and they said one side was severely ceased up and part of the splined sections was almost completely gone. He said nothing was worth salvaging at all. So the probably original driveshaft was ready to be annihilated in my mind anyways. Wife is super upset...but I love my bronco!

Traveler
06-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Yeah that is one way to go.
It would actually be cheaper to get a F150 or F350 shaft from the junk yard and have it shortened.
i don't know about prices there, but here it is $50 for a used shaft.
Usually around $75 for new u-joints, they install them.
$100 to shorten and balance.

When I said custom, I should have just said they are all shortened.

Polarburg
06-05-2014, 09:09 PM
ive shortened a couple shafts with no problems,like traveler said find a good used one and shorten it if you need to save a buck.if you can weld or have a friend thats a good welder. a lot simple then most think. if you grind the weld off were the tube meets the yoke and seperate it you will see the yoke has a shoulder where the tube fits over. figure out the length first so you know how much to take off the tube .a chop saw works fine. tap on yoke making sure it is phased with the other end ,placing on a bench you can see if the ears are flat on both ends.and weld on ,easier if someone can slowly rotate while its being welded for more consistent weld .if it had a balance weight on it .mark its location on the tube prior to cutting a reinstall after .you can try it with out a i have found it was fine with out putting it back on .your wife will like you much better with the cost this way

heatmiser
06-05-2014, 09:47 PM
I have always used a shop here in town and they balance it also

armyfox26
06-06-2014, 07:11 AM
It is all good. Right now I am so busy at work and being new to the area doesnt help at all. Unfortunately I have to bite the bullet and get this done fast. The "Beast" is my daily driver for the most part. Wife is hating not having a second vehicle right now. She can get over it :whiteflag . I will definately keep all this information in mind...heaven forbid it happens anytime in the near future. I would have much rather dumped that money into a new exhaust system. I am tired of the straight pipes coming out the back that the last guy thought was cool. It does look nice, but I cant go over 15mph without dieing of fumes if I have the back window down. I would like to just turn it into a dual exhaust system...but that is for another time :). Thank you all for your input!

4doorbronko
06-06-2014, 08:57 AM
$1200? :suspect:
Find another shop.
Unless the damaged splines are in the tranny tail housing? Not the driveline?
I've had several custom drive lines built, none were over $300?
If you're having your regular mechanic shop do the work, but they're farming out the driveshaft build, that could be where the extra cost is coming from?
A reputable driveline shop will generally do the R&R on site , removing the middle man mark up of a general mechanic shop.

Audra
06-08-2014, 12:25 AM
The last one I had done was only $330. And that was pretty high.

You're getting hosed.

68Mercury250Ranger
06-08-2014, 09:19 AM
The last one I had done was only $330. And that was pretty high.

You're getting hosed.

Actually I think he may be getting shafted:doh0715:

we get heavy truck shafts built for under $500 , heavy truck parts place that has a machine shop.

too bad you are new to the area, makes it hard to have contacts to honest sources.

good luck in your adventure.

damarble
06-08-2014, 10:06 PM
$1200 is outrageous. Last time I had a custom shaft made I picked up one from the junkyard with the right ends but too long. Cost about $20. Took it to a local driveline shop and they shortened it for $50. Put in new U-joints myself and was into it about $100 all said and done.

armyfox26
06-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Finally have my beast back in my possesion. I suffer from chronic migraines and these past two to three weeks were hard on me. So I just bit the bullet and had it done. I will truly do the F series driveshaft modification and swap if it ever happens again. I just noticed now...i guess because I drove my bronco for the 40-50 miles to get it home then to shop...my transfer case is leaking from the bottom section where the bolts secure it together. So I guess my next task is rebuilding my transfer case. Has anyone tried this or have heard of any issues with doing this? I still have the original transmission and transfer case that I took out of it when I did the tranny swap. I want to say the old one was leaking as well, but can't remember. The rebuild kits seem cheap and I have done about 20-25 T5 transmission rebuilds before. Since I have the spare transfer case I thought what the heck. Wish me luck. I will probably do a write up with loads of pictures when I do it. I take pictures of anything and everything regardless!

Traveler
06-16-2014, 07:59 AM
I have not been into one for years, it is just so easy to go grab different one. Clean it off and make sure that is where it is leaking from first.
Might do a google search and see what others are saying about doing them. If I remember right there it isn't hard, but it is kind of frustrating putting the two halves together properly.

Polarburg
06-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Try snuggling the bolts they do loosin up I've got some pics of a 1356 case if you want to know what's in there