PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best rebuild kit?

divemaster5734
02-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Howdy,
OK, so it's time. The beast is dead, and in need of repair.
I don't have a ton of money to throw at in on it, so need to find the best bang for the buck.
I've seen a huge disparity in 7.3 rebuild kits.
Besides the obvious,(including pistons etc), what have you guys done for a budget build?
Thanks in advance

Traveler
02-18-2014, 08:47 AM
How many miles are on it?
How many miles do you want to get out of it yet?

Diesel kits are kind of weird compared to gassers, there are not a lot of kits to choose from.
It is also hard to tell until you get yours torn apart. Need to inspect the pistons for cracks, see what the wear in the cylinder walls look like. It is not uncommon to pull these things apart after 200K and still see nice cross hatch marks in the cylinder walls.

For budget I would just put rings and bearings in it. Get the valves checked and grind the valves and seats. Fresh pump and injectors if yours are not newish already. It is good for like 100k miles. If you want more than that, then you need to bore it, put pistons in. Probably a new cam. A lot more head work.

divemaster5734
02-18-2014, 10:27 PM
You nailed it.
I don't think I'll keep it another 100k, I haven't put 10k on it in the last 7 years.
Got a new injector pump and injectors last year and didn't even put 500 on them.
Will probably sell it this winter, just need to haul the dirt bikes around one more summer.
Already have the engine out, so the build should go fast.
I had noticed a LOT of blowby, then saw tiny bubbles coming from the right side head gasket.
I was planning on getting a wrecked '00 - '03 7.3 and doing the swap, just don't have the time.
Thanks