PDA

View Full Version : lifting a 2WD 96 f250 powerstroke

Bruce
02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Any suggestions on lifting a 96 powerstroke crew cab 2WD? I dont want to a high lift, I just want 2-3 inches. Not looking to make it look like a 4 wheel drive just get wanting to get it off the ground some....these era trucks all sat too low to the ground. I know for f150s they sell the leveling kits that go above the springs. From what I am reading it doesnt appear to be that easy with these old powerstrokes.

Guess I could have started with the good news...I just bought a 96 short bed crew cab 2wd with 124k miles...white of course. Its a good looking truck. I will try to post some pics when I get off work...I guess I should post pics of my 4 door bronco too. I have only had it 3 years now and have never posted pics on here.

Traveler
02-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Is it coil spring up front? I think a standard 4x4 kit bolts right on.
Alignment might be a different issue.

Bruce
02-10-2013, 04:13 PM
It has coil springs and it's just normal twin I-beam. Everything I read seems to indicate its a problem to align after adding the lift spacer on top of the springs, but I agree traveler it should just bolt right on not sure why it wouldn't be the same as any other truck.

Traveler
02-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Maybe I am thinking that it is the same as a 1/2 ton kit. To get the alignment right you need the proper drop brackets and I thought the 1/2 ton brackets were the same.
After that it is a shooting match, calling a spring company might give you some insight, but basically you have to find a spring that carries the same weight but is a couple inches taller.
Or hit and miss, like a 4" spring for a 1/2 ton might get you 2 inches, maybe it will take a 6" lift spring.