PDA

View Full Version : engine swap

uk-krewzer
11-13-2011, 03:01 PM
hi folks, hav'nt been on here for quite some time. but i thought i'd just drop a line to say ive still got my cabriolet and ive had a cracking first season with it, its been a lot of fun but its so expensive to run with the price of petrol over here so like i proposed earlier this year ive decided to take the 460 out and put a cummins in with an allison 4 speed auto box. so this were i am up to now, i'll let the pictures tell the story from here.

SMOOTH
12-15-2011, 07:19 AM
I too have not been on here in a while but I love that you are doing this! This is something I have been considering for the Vanchero at some point down the road, so please take a lot of pictures and notes about what problems you have with the swap!

MoMo

uk-krewzer
12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
yer no problems, i'm more or less ready to try to fit the cummins in this weekend as long as the weather permits as i'm working outside. i need to get the engine in the bay so i can make the engine and gearbox mounts. once i've done that i would like to take it back out to paint engine and paint in the engine bay but it all depends on the time it takes to get it all set up. will put some pics on as i go :bigok:

sheepman
12-15-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm interested in knowing what that cummins came out of. The inter-cooler arrangement is very different to anything I've seen.

bob_95_psd
12-16-2011, 04:22 PM
So what is the price of gas and diesel across the pond these days?

I personally am not a fan of diesels but I sure do applaud your efforts. You actually start AND finish some major project and doing it outside is even more impressive.

Looking forward to seeing more, thanks for sharing.

uk-krewzer
12-17-2011, 05:35 PM
the engine is out a DAF 7.5 ton cab over with a tipping bed the year is round about 98/99ish, their pretty common over here. the problem i had was finding one with an auto box, this one came with a 4 speed allison. sadly i cant fit the intercooler in the same configuration as you see it in the pics as their's barely room for the radiator so i'll figure that one out further down the line.

uk-krewzer
12-17-2011, 06:15 PM
So what is the price of gas and diesel across the pond these days?

I personally am not a fan of diesels but I sure do applaud your efforts. You actually start AND finish some major project and doing it outside is even more impressive.

Looking forward to seeing more, thanks for sharing.

gas is about 6.60 a gallon. diesel is 6.80 a gallon so if you do the maths -$ it will give you an idea what were up against over here with the price of fuel.

i'm of the the same opinion i do prefer petrol (gas) but as long as the diesel is in a truck i'm ok with it. iv'e gotta say i was'nt totally sure about fitting the cummins at first because i was told that it was'nt an easy fit but it was do able,

you see the thing is what else i could put in and as you would expect i havn't got a lot of choice over here so i decided on the cummins which is a great engine and easy for parts, as long as i can make it all work it will be worth it i hope.

i must tell you after the third attempt in 4 hours of putting the thing in and out i came to the conclusion that it just wasn't gonna fit :scratchhe it was an absolute pig of a thing and i'm putting that mildly. :bdh: so i walked away and had a cup of strong coffee sat and looked at it and did finally get the thing in.

i'm gonna add some pics tomorrow of the engine in the bay and tell the story so far and what i had to do to make it fit. believe me it was the only way it was going in and i'm not quite their yet thats why i will put some pics on showing what iv'e donne to make it fit thanks.

for showing an interest. :bigok:

Clydesdale
12-18-2011, 12:45 AM
HA! I knew you weren't really in the UK, They don't have coffee across the pond!!!!

:laugh2:

Glad to hear it finally went.

uk-krewzer
12-18-2011, 12:34 PM
HA! I knew you weren't really in the UK, They don't have coffee across the pond!!!!

:laugh2:

Glad to hear it finally went.

we only drink tea whilst seated on the lawn mid afternoon..........:laugh1::laugh1::supergrin::rof lmao:

you know its amazing what you can do with a big hammer especially when you take a run at it. cheers

uk-krewzer
12-18-2011, 02:51 PM
here's some pics from fitting the engine over the weekend and the problems i had when trying to fit the engine in the bay, the thing was fouling on the sump with the cross member because of the depth of it and the rocker covers was hitting the bulk head, so basically the thing was to dam deep. i removed the sump and the oil pick up pipe and whay hay in it went, so you think that's it but nooo you gotta remember it just aint that easy right!! when i tried to refit the sump it would'nt go back on because now it was hitting the cross member because the thing was to long :BangHead: anyway take a look at the pics, just gotta weld it back up and add another piece onto the sump to allow for the section iv'e removed.

uk-krewzer
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
hi guys just thought i'd stick a few more pics of the engine and box going into the cabriolet. ive gotta say it's been a real bitch of a job. after spending weeks of weekend work fabricating the engine x-member and mounts for the gearbox, the trucks finaly sitting back on it's wheels, can't say how pleased i am about that. must say i went through some periods were i thought that this was a bad move. next job is to mate the exhaust back up to the stacks do a little work on the tunnel were i had to cut it so i can put the engine cover back on. :bigok:

uk-krewzer
02-11-2012, 09:59 AM
few more!!!!! gearbox mounts now.

Clydesdale
02-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Atta boy!

gettin' there...

bob_95_psd
02-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Wow what a pig. You've done an incredible job shoe horning that thing in there.

Great work!

heatmiser
02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Great job

Bronco Biff
02-12-2012, 10:36 AM
nice work!!! That thing is going to be extra sweet!!!!! Rattle, rattle, rattle!!!!!

uk-krewzer
02-12-2012, 02:24 PM
thanks folks, just hope its worth all the effort. gotta be more affordable to run thats the main thing, then reliability and all that. ive fitted the radiator and intercooler today, that went better than i thought :wink_2: :bigok::bigok: what next......the exhaust i think.

4doorbronko
02-12-2012, 03:07 PM
nice work!!! That thing is going to be extra sweet!!!!! Rattle, rattle, rattle!!!!!

With the stacks you'll need to warn upstairs neighbors to close their windows when you fire it up. So they don't get the "stink stink" in their living room. :biggthumpup:

SMOOTH
02-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Very impressive, that was some serious fab work you did! I can't wait to see the video of that thing running!

MoMo

chiefbuzz
09-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Howdy ! it's been a while but how did the engine swap go ? I just got my E350 up and running and other than a few small problems from sitting to long things are great. I plan to get a equipment trailer and put it to work soon but who knows I might just use it to run around .
:bigsmile:

sheepman
09-14-2016, 06:48 PM
It up and running

http://youtu.be/ViiEbsaqYPk